Re: [mythsoc] LOTR Movie TV Special

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 30, 2001
      What's the problem, Carl? He said Sow-ron instead of Sore-on. He said
      Boromir instead of Boramir. These are mighty achievements, to judge by
      prevailing standards.
    • Carl F. Hostetter
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 30, 2001
        >What's the problem, Carl? He said Sow-ron instead of Sore-on. He said
        >Boromir instead of Boramir. These are mighty achievements, to judge by
        >prevailing standards.

        Indeed, these are noteworthy achievements! He even said
        "SAH-ruh-mahn". However, he also said "GAN-dalf" (both a's as in
        "cat", and with final "f"), instead of "GAHN-dalv" and "Ga-LAD-riel"
        instead of "Gah-LAHD-riel".

        So, I give him as passing grade, above average, even; but not an "A"
        (or even an "AH").
      • Stolzi@aol.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 30, 2001
          I saw it too. Main impressions:

          Peter Jackson sure is tubby

          The promised "new footage" was a very brief scene (the fight in the Chamber
          of Mazarbul) but quite interesting.

          It's weird to see Legolas in his own clothes and haircut (a startling black
          Mohawk on white skull). Also, he was relaxing between shooting dates in some
          quite scary pastimes (e.g. bungee jumping out of aircraft) that one wouldn't
          think the studio would want their investment to be doing...

          I'd like to see a "making of" documentary which wd examine just how the
          Hobbits are shrunk and fitted into their scenes.

          Diamond Proudbrook
        • Juliet Blosser
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 30, 2001
            On Fri, Nov 30, 2001 at 12:38:33PM -0500, Stolzi@... wrote:
            > I saw it too. Main impressions:
            >
            > Peter Jackson sure is tubby

            But did you see him running through the woods? He can certainly move for
            a round man.

            > It's weird to see Legolas in his own clothes and haircut (a startling black
            > Mohawk on white skull). Also, he was relaxing between shooting dates in some
            > quite scary pastimes (e.g. bungee jumping out of aircraft) that one wouldn't
            > think the studio would want their investment to be doing...

            I agree. Seeing an immortal elf played by someone my mother wouldn't have
            wanted me hanging around in high school is odd. As far as his pastimes,
            Viggo Mortensen probably risked life and limb just as much, but in
            different ways.

            > I'd like to see a "making of" documentary which wd examine just how the
            > Hobbits are shrunk and fitted into their scenes.

            I'm sure we can expect to see this on the DVD when it comes out, if not
            on TV before. I expect the LOTR DVDs to be the "most technically advanced
            ever", just like every other DVD that comes out these days.

            > Diamond Proudbrook

          • David S. Bratman
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 30, 2001
              OK, Carl, _now_ you can wince. Here's how Cate Blanchett describes Elvish
              (not Quenya or Sindarin, but "Elvish"):

              "[It's] a cross between a lot of different Celtic sounds with a bit of
              Welsh thrown in. It is very beautiful when we all speak it with different
              accents."

              Celtic _and_ Welsh: will wonders never cease. (I wonder what she thinks
              "Celtic" means? Irish?) And different accents, too. Uh-oh.

              And having been treated to a Gandalf who gets into his immortal character
              by thinking about his aching bones, here's how our Galadriel gets into her
              immortal character:

              "First of all you get the ears and it all goes from there, really."

              The ears. May the Valar preserve us.

              (All quotes from Ruthe Stein's "Movie Insider" column, found in today's San
              Francisco Chronicle.)

              David Bratman
            • Stolzi@aol.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 30, 2001
                In a message dated 11/30/01 12:17:01 PM Central Standard Time,
                juliet@... writes:

                > But did you see him running through the woods? He can certainly move for
                > a round man.

                I know - made me wonder why he didn't lose weight.

                As for the DVD, wd you believe that this old Luddite doesn't even own a DVD
                player?

                Diamond Proudbrook
              • Berni Phillips
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 30, 2001
                  From: "Carl F. Hostetter" <Aelfwine@...>

                  > Indeed, these are noteworthy achievements! He even said
                  > "SAH-ruh-mahn". However, he also said "GAN-dalf" (both a's as in
                  > "cat", and with final "f"), instead of "GAHN-dalv" and "Ga-LAD-riel"
                  > instead of "Gah-LAHD-riel".
                  >
                  > So, I give him as passing grade, above average, even; but not an "A"
                  > (or even an "AH").

                  The FAHir in the SHAHir stays mainly in the MAHir.

                  Berni
                • Berni Phillips
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 30, 2001
                    From: "David S. Bratman" <dbratman@...>

                    > And having been treated to a Gandalf who gets into his immortal character
                    > by thinking about his aching bones, here's how our Galadriel gets into her
                    > immortal character:
                    >
                    > "First of all you get the ears and it all goes from there, really."
                    >
                    > The ears. May the Valar preserve us.
                    >
                    > (All quotes from Ruthe Stein's "Movie Insider" column, found in today's
                    San
                    > Francisco Chronicle.)

                    She said the same thing on the TV program last night. She wanted the role
                    because of the ears.

                    Berni
                  • Trudy Shaw
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 2, 2001
                      Re: Round man running through the woods

                      The New Zealand Herald in an interview dated 12-2 quotes Peter Jackson as saying, "You pace yourself. It's a very interesting lesson in how the mind controls the body really. It's all a psychological thing. It's nothing to do with your body, with how fit you are. It's all to do with your mind telling you you have to keep going." The main topic is the two years of work still ahead, but the attitude probably also applies to running when needed.

                      --Trudy
                      But did you see him running through the woods? He can certainly move for
                      a round man.
                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor