LOTR Movie TV Special

  • Juliet Blosser
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 29, 2001
      I just checked my local TV listings and saw this:

      FOX 4 Nov 29 07:00pm Special/Other, 30 Mins.

      Peter Jackson directs the big-screen adaptation of J.R.R.
      Tolkien's ``The Lord of the Rings'' trilogy.

      I'm in the Central Time Zone, so this is on in less than an
      hour, but just in case any of you are interested and will see
      this in time, there it is.
    • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 29, 2001
        It's a Special on the Fox Television Network. Starts 8 PM in the West, YMMV.

        Mythically yours,

        Lisa

        Juliet Blosser wrote:

        > I just checked my local TV listings and saw this:
        >
        > FOX 4 Nov 29 07:00pm Special/Other, 30 Mins.
        >
        > Peter Jackson directs the big-screen adaptation of J.R.R.
        > Tolkien's ``The Lord of the Rings'' trilogy.
        >
        > I'm in the Central Time Zone, so this is on in less than an
        > hour, but just in case any of you are interested and will see
        > this in time, there it is.
      • Juliet Blosser
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 29, 2001
          I saw the special. My favorite quote from it: "He [Peter Jackson] is
          the Lord of the Rings." -- Christopher Lee
        • David S. Bratman
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 29, 2001
            Not at all the same as the video I saw at the bookstore on "Tolkien Day":
            only a couple of the shots were the same. As (I think) was that
            over-the-top narrator, but I'll give him one thing: he pronounced the names
            right.

            David Bratman
          • Carl F. Hostetter
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 29, 2001
              >he pronounced the names right.

              Well....
            • David S. Bratman
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 30, 2001
                What's the problem, Carl? He said Sow-ron instead of Sore-on. He said
                Boromir instead of Boramir. These are mighty achievements, to judge by
                prevailing standards.
              • Carl F. Hostetter
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 30, 2001
                  >What's the problem, Carl? He said Sow-ron instead of Sore-on. He said
                  >Boromir instead of Boramir. These are mighty achievements, to judge by
                  >prevailing standards.

                  Indeed, these are noteworthy achievements! He even said
                  "SAH-ruh-mahn". However, he also said "GAN-dalf" (both a's as in
                  "cat", and with final "f"), instead of "GAHN-dalv" and "Ga-LAD-riel"
                  instead of "Gah-LAHD-riel".

                  So, I give him as passing grade, above average, even; but not an "A"
                  (or even an "AH").
                • Stolzi@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 30, 2001
                    I saw it too. Main impressions:

                    Peter Jackson sure is tubby

                    The promised "new footage" was a very brief scene (the fight in the Chamber
                    of Mazarbul) but quite interesting.

                    It's weird to see Legolas in his own clothes and haircut (a startling black
                    Mohawk on white skull). Also, he was relaxing between shooting dates in some
                    quite scary pastimes (e.g. bungee jumping out of aircraft) that one wouldn't
                    think the studio would want their investment to be doing...

                    I'd like to see a "making of" documentary which wd examine just how the
                    Hobbits are shrunk and fitted into their scenes.

                    Diamond Proudbrook
                  • Juliet Blosser
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 30, 2001
                      On Fri, Nov 30, 2001 at 12:38:33PM -0500, Stolzi@... wrote:
                      > I saw it too. Main impressions:
                      >
                      > Peter Jackson sure is tubby

                      But did you see him running through the woods? He can certainly move for
                      a round man.

                      > It's weird to see Legolas in his own clothes and haircut (a startling black
                      > Mohawk on white skull). Also, he was relaxing between shooting dates in some
                      > quite scary pastimes (e.g. bungee jumping out of aircraft) that one wouldn't
                      > think the studio would want their investment to be doing...

                      I agree. Seeing an immortal elf played by someone my mother wouldn't have
                      wanted me hanging around in high school is odd. As far as his pastimes,
                      Viggo Mortensen probably risked life and limb just as much, but in
                      different ways.

                      > I'd like to see a "making of" documentary which wd examine just how the
                      > Hobbits are shrunk and fitted into their scenes.

                      I'm sure we can expect to see this on the DVD when it comes out, if not
                      on TV before. I expect the LOTR DVDs to be the "most technically advanced
                      ever", just like every other DVD that comes out these days.

                      > Diamond Proudbrook

                    • David S. Bratman
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 30, 2001
                        OK, Carl, _now_ you can wince. Here's how Cate Blanchett describes Elvish
                        (not Quenya or Sindarin, but "Elvish"):

                        "[It's] a cross between a lot of different Celtic sounds with a bit of
                        Welsh thrown in. It is very beautiful when we all speak it with different
                        accents."

                        Celtic _and_ Welsh: will wonders never cease. (I wonder what she thinks
                        "Celtic" means? Irish?) And different accents, too. Uh-oh.

                        And having been treated to a Gandalf who gets into his immortal character
                        by thinking about his aching bones, here's how our Galadriel gets into her
                        immortal character:

                        "First of all you get the ears and it all goes from there, really."

                        The ears. May the Valar preserve us.

                        (All quotes from Ruthe Stein's "Movie Insider" column, found in today's San
                        Francisco Chronicle.)

                        David Bratman
                      • Stolzi@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 30, 2001
                          In a message dated 11/30/01 12:17:01 PM Central Standard Time,
                          juliet@... writes:

                          > But did you see him running through the woods? He can certainly move for
                          > a round man.

                          I know - made me wonder why he didn't lose weight.

                          As for the DVD, wd you believe that this old Luddite doesn't even own a DVD
                          player?

                          Diamond Proudbrook
                        • Berni Phillips
                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 30, 2001
                            From: "Carl F. Hostetter" <Aelfwine@...>

                            > Indeed, these are noteworthy achievements! He even said
                            > "SAH-ruh-mahn". However, he also said "GAN-dalf" (both a's as in
                            > "cat", and with final "f"), instead of "GAHN-dalv" and "Ga-LAD-riel"
                            > instead of "Gah-LAHD-riel".
                            >
                            > So, I give him as passing grade, above average, even; but not an "A"
                            > (or even an "AH").

                            The FAHir in the SHAHir stays mainly in the MAHir.

                            Berni
                          • Berni Phillips
                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 30, 2001
                              From: "David S. Bratman" <dbratman@...>

                              > And having been treated to a Gandalf who gets into his immortal character
                              > by thinking about his aching bones, here's how our Galadriel gets into her
                              > immortal character:
                              >
                              > "First of all you get the ears and it all goes from there, really."
                              >
                              > The ears. May the Valar preserve us.
                              >
                              > (All quotes from Ruthe Stein's "Movie Insider" column, found in today's
                              San
                              > Francisco Chronicle.)

                              She said the same thing on the TV program last night. She wanted the role
                              because of the ears.

                              Berni
                            • Trudy Shaw
                              Message 14 of 14 , Dec 2, 2001
                                Re: Round man running through the woods

                                The New Zealand Herald in an interview dated 12-2 quotes Peter Jackson as saying, "You pace yourself. It's a very interesting lesson in how the mind controls the body really. It's all a psychological thing. It's nothing to do with your body, with how fit you are. It's all to do with your mind telling you you have to keep going." The main topic is the two years of work still ahead, but the attitude probably also applies to running when needed.

                                --Trudy
                                But did you see him running through the woods? He can certainly move for
                                a round man.
                                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor