Re: [mythsoc] Re: Shelf Esteem

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 28, 2001
      At 04:00 AM 11/28/2001 , Trudy wrote:

      > Didn't Tolkien dislike the three-volume division more, or do I
      > recall that incorrectly?>>
      > More than dividing LotR into six volumes(one volume per book).

      One physical volume per book was not an option presented to him. Had it
      been, he (and his publishers) could well have disliked it for making it
      just too many volumes, and too much of a hassle to buy if published
      separately at different times, as the original 3-volume edition was. I
      view the new 7-volume edition as a gimmick, if a well-produced one, and
      note that I've seen it offered only as a set.

      Tolkien's dislike of the 3-volume division was based on concern that people
      would think he'd written 3 books instead of one, as well as on the
      artificial association of the constituent books - in particular, Books 3
      and 4 seemed disassociated to him.

      What would you think of a 2-volume edition: Books 1-3 and 4-6?

      David Bratman