Re: [mythsoc] Digest Number 749

  • Edith Crowe
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 26, 2001
      Mr. Gaslin interviewed me for the article as a representative of the Mythopoeic
      Society. Now I'm starting to worry...

      Edith

      mythsoc@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > Well, you'll all soon have another chance to evaluate Mr. Gaslin's
      > research and writing skills. Keep yours eyes on TV GUIDE magazine
      > for an article I believe will be published soon.
    • Michael Martinez
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 26, 2001
        --- In mythsoc@y..., Edith Crowe <ecrowe@e...> wrote:
        > Mr. Gaslin interviewed me for the article as a representative of
        > the Mythopoeic Society. Now I'm starting to worry...

        Why? He's entitled to his opinion. So he defended the Bakshi
        movie. So what? Most people don't like it, but some people do.

        But just because someone likes an unpopular movie, even defends it,
        doesn't mean he's going to use an article in a magazine to make all
        the other people look bad.

        I didn't sense any deceptive intentions in Mr. Gaslin's questions.
        He didn't seem to be leading me on or trying to put words into my
        mouth. Admittedly, he could really mangle what I said, or his editor
        could. But I could also be completely excluded from the article.
        I'll wait until he hangs me before I worry about what might happen.
        There isn't much point in worrying anyway. :)

        We should work with the media as much as possible. We can reward the
        good reporters with good interviews and the bad reporters with closed
        doors. We're in for at least two more years of this attention.
      • David S. Bratman
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 26, 2001
          At 10:49 AM 11/26/2001 , Michael Martinez wrote:

          >--- In mythsoc@y..., Edith Crowe <ecrowe@e...> wrote:
          >> Mr. Gaslin interviewed me for the article as a representative of
          >> the Mythopoeic Society. Now I'm starting to worry...
          >
          >Why? He's entitled to his opinion. So he defended the Bakshi
          >movie. So what? Most people don't like it, but some people do.

          Mr Gaslin is entitled to his opinion, and Edith is equally entitled to
          worry about him. It's free speech either way.

          >But just because someone likes an unpopular movie, even defends it,
          >doesn't mean he's going to use an article in a magazine to make all
          >the other people look bad.

          It doesn't, but one might still worry about it.

          >I didn't sense any deceptive intentions in Mr. Gaslin's questions.
          >He didn't seem to be leading me on or trying to put words into my
          >mouth. Admittedly, he could really mangle what I said, or his editor
          >could.

          That is precisely what happened to me with the American Prospect article.
          I sensed no deceptive intention, or any anti-Tolkien bias, in the
          reporter's questions, but the article proved both to mangle what I said and
          to have a strong bias, for both of which the author, not the editor, was
          responsible.

          >But I could also be completely excluded from the article.
          >I'll wait until he hangs me before I worry about what might happen.
          >There isn't much point in worrying anyway. :)

          True. But one does not worry under the delusion that it will help
          anything. One worries because one finds a situation worrisome. It's one
          of those things that humans do.

          >We should work with the media as much as possible. We can reward the
          >good reporters with good interviews and the bad reporters with closed
          >doors. We're in for at least two more years of this attention.

          I can go along with that. And very pleased I was with the results of the
          other article I've been interviewed for recently, the one in the San Jose
          Mercury News.

          David Bratman
        • Michael Martinez
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 26, 2001
            I agree that worrying is a natural reaction. I was just trying to be
            a reassuring voice amid what appears to me to be a growing sea of
            concern (both here and on other fora).

            It could be much, much worse, in my opinion. The media could all
            have gone tramping to David Day for his opinions. :)
          • Ginger L. Zabel
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 26, 2001
              My mother used to share the quote: "Worrying is like paying interest on a
              debt you don't know if you owe yet."

              I'm not quite sure where she got it, but sometimes I say the words over to
              myself when I'm very concerned about things I have no control over.

              -Ginger

              --On Monday, November 26, 2001, 11:34 AM -0800 "David S. Bratman"
              <dbratman@...> wrote:

              > At 10:49 AM 11/26/2001 , Michael Martinez wrote:
              >
              >> --- In mythsoc@y..., Edith Crowe <ecrowe@e...> wrote:
              >>> Mr. Gaslin interviewed me for the article as a representative of
              >>> the Mythopoeic Society. Now I'm starting to worry...
              >>
              >> Why? He's entitled to his opinion. So he defended the Bakshi
              >> movie. So what? Most people don't like it, but some people do.
              >
              > Mr Gaslin is entitled to his opinion, and Edith is equally entitled to
              > worry about him. It's free speech either way.
              >
              >> But just because someone likes an unpopular movie, even defends it,
              >> doesn't mean he's going to use an article in a magazine to make all
              >> the other people look bad.
              >
              > It doesn't, but one might still worry about it.
              >
              >> I didn't sense any deceptive intentions in Mr. Gaslin's questions.
              >> He didn't seem to be leading me on or trying to put words into my
              >> mouth. Admittedly, he could really mangle what I said, or his editor
              >> could.
              >
              > That is precisely what happened to me with the American Prospect article.
              > I sensed no deceptive intention, or any anti-Tolkien bias, in the
              > reporter's questions, but the article proved both to mangle what I said
              > and to have a strong bias, for both of which the author, not the editor,
              > was responsible.
              >
              >> But I could also be completely excluded from the article.
              >> I'll wait until he hangs me before I worry about what might happen.
              >> There isn't much point in worrying anyway. :)
              >
              > True. But one does not worry under the delusion that it will help
              > anything. One worries because one finds a situation worrisome. It's one
              > of those things that humans do.
              >
              >> We should work with the media as much as possible. We can reward the
              >> good reporters with good interviews and the bad reporters with closed
              >> doors. We're in for at least two more years of this attention.
              >
              > I can go along with that. And very pleased I was with the results of the
              > other article I've been interviewed for recently, the one in the San Jose
              > Mercury News.
              >
              > David Bratman

              "To be ignorant is not such a shame as to be unwilling to learn." - G. W.
              Hoss
            • David S. Bratman
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 26, 2001
                Ginger -