Re: Tour Middle Earth

  • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 21 1:16 PM
      Diane Baker wrote:

      > From: Diane Baker <dianejoy@...>
      >
      > Stolzi@... wrote:
      > >
      > > From: Stolzi@...
      >
      > > > Lothlorien has too many stairs!
      >
      > > Am facing this problem myself. This summer, two weeks after Mythcon, we
      > > visit, not the Glittering Caves, but the Mammoth Caves in Kentucky. I can
      > > hardly find a caves tour described that I think I can handle. 'Way out of
      > > shape for any tough walking, and stairs are very, very hard on my knees.

      We recently did Carlsbad Cavern. Luckily they have an elevator to take you down
      and back up to the best parts. But it was still a lot of walking. I have lousy
      arches and the feet complained, but it was well worth it!

      They too have a guided tour in which at one point, they turn off the lights.
      After seeing all the beauty, it is awesome to see the fully dark cave (or is
      that not see as you cannot see a bloody thing only the twinkling of randomly
      firing nerve cells). Oh, at Carlsbad it is never fully quiet though, as the
      caves and the formations are still forming, so there is a constant dripping
      sound.

      Still, after doing that, I more appreciate Moria, and nothing being visible at
      all passed the lamps. In a true cave, once you get passed the light you brought
      with you, there is nothing but inky black.

      One of the things we got to see was all the stairs people used to use before
      they put in the elevator. I don't envy you a bit.

      Mythically yours,

      Lisa