RE: Re: [mythsoc] Heart vs. duty (was Another Tolkien article)

  • dianejoy@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 23, 2001
      Original Message:
      -----------------
      From: Juliet Blosser juliet@...
      Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 11:59:33 -0600
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Heart vs. duty (was Another Tolkien article)

      << I suppose "follow your brain" wouldn't make for many exciting movies. And the suspense/horror genre would disappear if "follow your common sense" prevailed. Calling the police makes the story too short. :)>>

      True enough; and if the dumb idiots don't go down that dark corridor where the monster lurks, there's no suspense.

      << Detective/whodunnit stories seem like "follow your brain" stories to me,
      and I've found many of them exciting; however, they aren't usually
      emotionally moving. I'm a big fan of Sherlock Holmes, but he's never
      made me cry.>>

      Not a question of how the film makes *you* feel. Though I nearly cried reading "Adventure of the Dying Detective." Not just because Holmes appeared to be dying, but because Holmes had *apparently* lost that magnificent mind. Brilliant! I put the detective genre under "do your duty," because the detective's duty is to solve the mystery and puzzle out the case. That's his / her function. But I like the phrase "follow your brain." We could all use a little more of that! ---djb

      http://mail2web.com/ .