Tolkien article of the week

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 22, 2001
      The subject line above is sarcastic.

      I'm not going to tell you what it's about; just go to
      http://slate.msn.com/?id=2058784

      And be sure to hold your jaw, lest it fall on the floor.

      David Bratman
    • Stolzi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 22, 2001
        Is it true that yet another name for athelas, aka kingsfoil, was

        Elvish parsley?

        Thinking hard,

        Diamond Proudbrook
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 22, 2001
          Well, first of all, this is just wrong:

          > In the 1970s, fantasy fans were treated to three trippy animated versions
          of J.R.R.
          > Tolkien's books, all of which were unavailable on video until last month
          when
          > Warner Bros. squeezed out quickie DVD and VHS pressings.

          They've been out on video for a long time.

          Wendell Wagner
        • Bill
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 22, 2001
            Consider my jaw dropped.
            Bakshi's movie was -forgive the term- crap.
            By either regular movie standards or Tolkien fan standards,
            which, IMHO, is why the studio heads pulled the plug on
            part 2.

          • dianejoy@earthlink.net
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 23, 2001
              Bakshi's movie was -forgive the term- crap.
              By either regular movie standards or Tolkien fan standards,
              which, IMHO, is why the studio heads pulled the plug on
              part 2.>>

              I am speechless with amazement. The sound-track isn't bad, but Bakshi's animation vision was way too ambitious for the technology then in place.

              Has this guy actually *seen* the film recently, or is he just working on memories that he saw when he was (perhaps) ten? ---djb

              http://mail2web.com/ .
            • stephen@stephen.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 23, 2001
                I don't see much wrong with that article. Or, well it does have a bunch of
                factual errors but I don't see much wrong with it's main drift. He's not
                saying Bakshi's 'Lord of the Rings' was good. And he's right that it's a
                whole lot better than the other two he sites.
              • Michael Martinez
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 24, 2001
                  --- In mythsoc@y..., stephen@s... wrote:
                  > I don't see much wrong with that article. Or, well it does have a
                  bunch of
                  > factual errors but I don't see much wrong with it's main drift.
                  He's not
                  > saying Bakshi's 'Lord of the Rings' was good. And he's right that
                  it's a
                  > whole lot better than the other two he sites.

                  Well, you'll all soon have another chance to evaluate Mr. Gaslin's
                  research and writing skills. Keep yours eyes on TV GUIDE magazine
                  for an article I believe will be published soon.