Re: [mythsoc] Harry Potter book

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 18, 2001
      I am doing a Critical Reading (grin) of the text, and discovered that
      Dudley's friend Piers is "scrawny" when he turns up for the zoo visit, but in
      the next chapter, is named as one of Dudley's friends who are "all big and
      stupid."

      Doubtless other grave faults will be unmasked ('nother grin) as I go along.

      This is a UK copy I had ordered to give a friend for Christmas. A mad search
      of the house failed to turn it up, so I wrapped and mailed her my own UK copy
      instead, praying it was reasonably unbent and unmarked. Then, of course, I
      found the new UK copy, still in its mailer.

      When I opened it, it was a plain cover, mostly gray and black, with a subdued
      photo of a locomotive and some orange trim for title and borders. I suspect
      this is the edition which I read abt somewhere, which was supposedly brought
      out to make it less embarrassing for adults reading Potter in public :)
      The one my friend got, as best I recall, shows a lively drawing of the train
      and Harry himself, in color.

      Hagrid is described as almost twice as tall and fully five times as wide as
      an ordinary person (!). In a shot I saw on CNN today, Coltrane does look
      quite, quite huge. Any tricks, such as those done to shrink the Hobbits?

      Diamond Proudbrook