Re: [mythsoc] Whose prose?

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 9, 2001
      At 01:36 PM 11/9/2001 , Joan Marie Verba wrote:

      >As a dissenting view, I read the Magician's Nephew first, on
      >recommendation of those who urged me to read the Narnia series. I knew
      >what Narnia was before I read the books because they told me. And when I
      >read it to my younger sister, I read the Magician's Nephew first. I
      >don't recall any confusion on this issue.

      Joan, your second sentence answers your own argument. You already knew
      what Narnia was. Such knowledge wouldn't be necessary if you'd read LWW
      first, and the fact that you mention this shows that "Nephew" wasn't meant
      to be first.

      Indeed, I'd go further than that. I wrote about "Nephew":

      >> OK, you can read that without knowing what Narnia is, but it's obviously
      >> addressed at people who've previously read of other such travels.

      In other words, the book CAN be read first even by people who don't have
      your advantage of having already been told about Narnia. But that's
      obviously not the author's intent. Heck, you can even read "The Horse and
      His Boy" or "The Last Battle" first. But if the books are going to be put
      in order, it's as clear as can be that none of these is the first. (And
      don't say "Nephew takes place first" unless you've never heard of flashbacks.)

      On the subject of putting books in order, I must confess to a little
      practical joke at the bookstore.

      Mary S. described

      >the seven-vol edition of LOTR recently mentioned here. What catches the
      eye is
      >that each volume has one letter printed at the top of its spine, thus
      >
      > T O L K I E N
      >
      >very catchy.

      Indeed. There was an unwrapped copy of this at Borders last night, and
      after looking through the volumes - and still feeling irritated about that
      one-volume Narnia in the wrong order - I found myself moved, perhaps by the
      imp of Dean Acheson, to replace them in a new order. Rejecting T O L K E I
      N as just too cruel, I tried K I N E L O T and L O N E K I T before
      settling on L O K I N E T. LokiNet, sounds like a good Norse ISP.
    • Paul F. Labaki
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 10, 2001
        I couldn't agree with you more, David. I discovered Pyle's Robin Hood on my
        aunt's bookshelf when I was nine years old. At that age, I don't know that
        I could have found any better treasure.

        The volume, which I still feel slightly guilty about not having returned, lo
        these 30 years later, has no printing or copyright date, published by
        Doubleday Classics. A hardcover with a yellow spine, an ornate cover and end
        pages covered with images of toys in green ink, it is in terribly battered
        condition from too many hours lovingly pouring through its pages. And it
        has Pyle's illustrations. (If I'm remembering correctly, he thought of
        himself as an illustrator first, writing as a secondary activity, really a
        hobby.)

        Can anyone tell me what its date of printing was? I've always been curious,
        as I noticed this even the first time around.

        Peace,
        Paul Labaki

      • Stolzi@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 10, 2001
          In a message dated 11/9/01 5:23:38 PM Central Standard Time,
          dbratman@... writes:

          > Indeed. There was an unwrapped copy of this at Borders last night, and
          > after looking through the volumes - and still feeling irritated about that
          > one-volume Narnia in the wrong order - I found myself moved, perhaps by the
          > imp of Dean Acheson, to replace them in a new order. Rejecting T O L K E I
          > N as just too cruel, I tried K I N E L O T and L O N E K I T before
          > settling on L O K I N E T. LokiNet, sounds like a good Norse ISP.

          Why Dean Acheson? "Present at the Creation," you mean?

          Oh, David, just think of the poor soul who buys that set, takes them home,
          and tries to read THEM in the order you put them in! <GGG> Will =he= (or
          she) have a lot of flashbacks to cope with!

          Diamond Proudbrook
        • David S. Bratman
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 10, 2001
            At 06:17 AM 11/10/2001 , Mary S. wrote:

            >Why Dean Acheson? "Present at the Creation," you mean?

            If you've read "Present at the Creation," you'll remember that Acheson had
            an impish sense of humor that came out at odd moments. His most famous
            such remark was, "I learned everything I know at my mother's knee, and
            other low joints."

            >Oh, David, just think of the poor soul who buys that set, takes them home,
            >and tries to read THEM in the order you put them in! <GGG> Will =he= (or
            >she) have a lot of flashbacks to cope with!

            That (seriously) is why I didn't rearrange it as
            T O L K E I N, because a purchaser might not realize anything was wrong,
            considering the number of people who actually spell the author's name that
            way. (Each title page does identify which volume it is, also.)

            David Bratman