Order of the Chronicles

  • David Lenander
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 9, 2001
      Although CSL is often said to have indicated a preference for Nephew as first in the series, I think I looked up what he'd said at some point, and I think it wasn't so clear as that makes it sound. I think it was something like "You should read Nephew first if you want to read them in chronological order" in response to a question from someone
      saying they wanted to read them in the order of occurrence. But this is from a man who gave at least two contradictory accounts of how he came to write LWW. "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."

      In any case, I don't think the argument that Nephew should come first is persuasive for many people. Unfortunately, Donald Gresham and HarperCollins are convinced of it. I read them aloud in that order, years ago, to my younger siblings, and realized then that it worked better the other way, with Nephew following after LWW, and actually after the
      first four, as they follow after one another pretty well. LWW, PC, VDT and SC, with MN and H&HB maybe substituted at any point after LWW if the next of the sequence of 4 isn't available--you really wouldn't want to read SC or VDT before PC, would you? Though I started with Silver Chair, and then LWW or Dawn Treader and Magician's Nephew. I think
      everyone's agreed that Last Battle belongs last, though. Astonishing. Even Kay Lindskoog and Walter Hooper probably agree about that .

      --

      David Lenander,

    • Janet Croft
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 9, 2001
        I thought the article by Peter J. Schakel in the last Mythlore was pretty
        conclusive about this whole issue. LWW has to come first for a wide variety
        of reasons.

        Janet

        --

        David Lenander,