Re: [mythsoc] Robin Hood

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 8, 2001
      At 06:00 AM 11/8/2001 , Mary S. wrote:

      >Then I passed "Howard Pyle, Illustrated Classics Edition, ROBIN HOOD" and
      >plucked it off the shelf for a reminiscent glance.
      >
      >Guess what, none of that fine 14th century prose, it was "Retold by..." and
      >NOT ONLY THAT, the illustrations were by =somebody else=. Howard Pyle, my
      >foot!

      I'm not sure whether you're lamenting or (ironically) celebrating the
      absence of that 14th-century prose, but ...

      There isn't any 14th-century prose about Robin Hood, just ballad-songs and
      snatches. And there are some Elizabethan plays (also mostly in verse, I
      think). But apart from cameo appearances in Walter Scott novels and things
      like that, most of the prose fiction about Robin Hood is Victorian or
      later. There's really no equivalent to Malory's Morte d'Arthur, but the
      single closest thing to a full prose rendition of the Robin Hood tale
      that's lodged itself in the collective hindbrain, and which all later
      writers either have to follow or play off on, is ...

      Howard Pyle's.

      Though it's a shame you couldn't find an edition with Pyle's own illustrations.

      David Bratman