RE: [mythsoc] literature / church connexion

  • dianejoy@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 8 7:32 AM
      Original Message:
      -----------------
      From: ERATRIANO@...
      Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 11:33:25 EST
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [mythsoc] literature / church connexion

      In a message dated 11/07/01 10:56:24 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      dianejoy@... writes:

      << ACK! Dear Lord, it is so hard to be a "middle of the road" Christian!
      ---djb >>

      Oh and it is getting harder. When I worked in NYC for a church organization,
      there were pagans and gays to talk to. Now, between living further from the
      City (is there a measure of Logres in Manhattan even??), and the pendulum
      swinging towards the Right again, I am finding myself less and less at home
      in the Episcopal church. While it is a great place to talk literature and
      enjoy the Book of Common Prayer and all, it is less and less a place for the
      creative soul. I had heard that the Unitarian church might be the place to
      check out, but there are none w/in half an hour. The Cathedral of St. John
      the Divine in NYC hosts some great things, but again, they are too far away.
      What's a person and parent to do?

      Lizzie

      I've even more limited resources: I don't drive---and never will. So I am limited to the churches within my neighborhood. I'm loath to leave where I attend---for I actually can persuade people to pick me up and take me to church; when winter comes, it becomes more difficult to keep going unless I have such help.

      I suppose we can start our own? I hate to say so, but finding a place which teaches the Scriptures, and doesn't fall off the ledge on either the left (too liberal) or the right (too sensationalist, descending into superstitious nonsense) is very difficult. I feel a bit like Goldilocks, who hasn't yet found the home of the Three Bears. ---djb

      http://mail2web.com/ .
    • Juliet Blosser
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 12 9:43 AM
        On Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 11:33:25AM -0500, ERATRIANO@... wrote:
        > In a message dated 11/07/01 10:56:24 AM Eastern Standard Time,
        > dianejoy@... writes:
        >
        > << ACK! Dear Lord, it is so hard to be a "middle of the road" Christian!
        > ---djb >>
        >
        > Oh and it is getting harder. When I worked in NYC for a church organization,
        > there were pagans and gays to talk to. Now, between living further from the
        > City (is there a measure of Logres in Manhattan even??), and the pendulum
        > swinging towards the Right again, I am finding myself less and less at home
        > in the Episcopal church. While it is a great place to talk literature and
        > enjoy the Book of Common Prayer and all, it is less and less a place for the
        > creative soul. I had heard that the Unitarian church might be the place to
        > check out, but there are none w/in half an hour. The Cathedral of St. John
        > the Divine in NYC hosts some great things, but again, they are too far away.
        > What's a person and parent to do?
        >
        > Lizzie

        Lizzie,

        In our experience, the congregation matters much more than the denomination.
        We're currently in a small Christian Reformed congregation, and our pastor
        has LOTR on the shelf in his office. There are certainly members with less
        grace in our congregation, but for the most part the leadership is very
        mature in concepts of grace. Keep looking, and don't be afraid to look
        in some less-likely places. :)
      • ERATRIANO@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 12 2:50 PM
          In a message dated 11/12/01 12:44:59 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          juliet@... writes:

          << n our experience, the congregation matters much more than the denomination.
          We're currently in a small Christian Reformed congregation, and our pastor
          has LOTR on the shelf in his office. There are certainly members with less
          grace in our congregation, but for the most part the leadership is very
          mature in concepts of grace. Keep looking, and don't be afraid to look in
          some less-likely places. :) >>

          you are of course correct. one needs a little reassurance now and then
          though. so thanks. :-)

          lizzie