Day at the Library

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 8, 2001
      I was in "Juvenile" looking for LeGuin's Earthsea books, and noticed the
      seven-vol edition of LOTR recently mentioned here. What catches the eye is
      that each volume has one letter printed at the top of its spine, thus

      T O L K I E N

      very catchy.

      Then I passed "Howard Pyle, Illustrated Classics Edition, ROBIN HOOD" and
      plucked it off the shelf for a reminiscent glance.

      Guess what, none of that fine 14th century prose, it was "Retold by..." and
      NOT ONLY THAT, the illustrations were by =somebody else=. Howard Pyle, my
      foot!

      Finally, I looked at the TIME review of HP and discovered, or rediscovered,
      that Ron Weasley is played by one Rupert Grint. Which sounds just like one
      of J.K. Rowling's names!

      Diamond Proudbrook
    • David S. Bratman
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 8, 2001
        At 06:00 AM 11/8/2001 , Mary S. wrote:

        >Then I passed "Howard Pyle, Illustrated Classics Edition, ROBIN HOOD" and
        >plucked it off the shelf for a reminiscent glance.
        >
        >Guess what, none of that fine 14th century prose, it was "Retold by..." and
        >NOT ONLY THAT, the illustrations were by =somebody else=. Howard Pyle, my
        >foot!

        I'm not sure whether you're lamenting or (ironically) celebrating the
        absence of that 14th-century prose, but ...

        There isn't any 14th-century prose about Robin Hood, just ballad-songs and
        snatches. And there are some Elizabethan plays (also mostly in verse, I
        think). But apart from cameo appearances in Walter Scott novels and things
        like that, most of the prose fiction about Robin Hood is Victorian or
        later. There's really no equivalent to Malory's Morte d'Arthur, but the
        single closest thing to a full prose rendition of the Robin Hood tale
        that's lodged itself in the collective hindbrain, and which all later
        writers either have to follow or play off on, is ...

        Howard Pyle's.

        Though it's a shame you couldn't find an edition with Pyle's own illustrations.

        David Bratman