Re: [mythsoc] literature / church connexion

  • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 7, 2001
      jamcconney@... wrote:

      > They are sad beings, and
      > since we in this list (though we may lack practicality, financial skills and
      > the ability to remember where we put the keys) are certainly not suffering
      > from imaginative deprivation, surely it behooves us to at least attempt to
      > open whatever gateways, in wardrobes and elsewhere, we can find for them.
      > It's tough--but don't give up.

      Speak for yourself on the financial skills, I got some of those. The keys, on the
      other hand, are forever in trouble, sigh. Still fantastic imagination is right
      up there, so long as it isn't in the accounting books!

      Mythically yours,

      Lisa aka Ye Madam Treasurer, The Mythopoeic Society
      (I even do it for a living)
    • dianejoy@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 8, 2001
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 12, 2001
          On Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 11:33:25AM -0500, ERATRIANO@... wrote:
          > In a message dated 11/07/01 10:56:24 AM Eastern Standard Time,
          > dianejoy@... writes:
          >
          > << ACK! Dear Lord, it is so hard to be a "middle of the road" Christian!
          > ---djb >>
          >
          > Oh and it is getting harder. When I worked in NYC for a church organization,
          > there were pagans and gays to talk to. Now, between living further from the
          > City (is there a measure of Logres in Manhattan even??), and the pendulum
          > swinging towards the Right again, I am finding myself less and less at home
          > in the Episcopal church. While it is a great place to talk literature and
          > enjoy the Book of Common Prayer and all, it is less and less a place for the
          > creative soul. I had heard that the Unitarian church might be the place to
          > check out, but there are none w/in half an hour. The Cathedral of St. John
          > the Divine in NYC hosts some great things, but again, they are too far away.
          > What's a person and parent to do?
          >
          > Lizzie

          Lizzie,

          In our experience, the congregation matters much more than the denomination.
          We're currently in a small Christian Reformed congregation, and our pastor
          has LOTR on the shelf in his office. There are certainly members with less
          grace in our congregation, but for the most part the leadership is very
          mature in concepts of grace. Keep looking, and don't be afraid to look
          in some less-likely places. :)
        • ERATRIANO@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 12, 2001
            In a message dated 11/12/01 12:44:59 PM Eastern Standard Time,
            juliet@... writes:

            << n our experience, the congregation matters much more than the denomination.
            We're currently in a small Christian Reformed congregation, and our pastor
            has LOTR on the shelf in his office. There are certainly members with less
            grace in our congregation, but for the most part the leadership is very
            mature in concepts of grace. Keep looking, and don't be afraid to look in
            some less-likely places. :) >>

            you are of course correct. one needs a little reassurance now and then
            though. so thanks. :-)

            lizzie