literature / church connexion

  • ERATRIANO@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 7, 2001
      In a message dated 11/07/01 10:56:24 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      dianejoy@... writes:

      << ACK! Dear Lord, it is so hard to be a "middle of the road" Christian!
      ---djb >>

      Oh and it is getting harder. When I worked in NYC for a church organization,
      there were pagans and gays to talk to. Now, between living further from the
      City (is there a measure of Logres in Manhattan even??), and the pendulum
      swinging towards the Right again, I am finding myself less and less at home
      in the Episcopal church. While it is a great place to talk literature and
      enjoy the Book of Common Prayer and all, it is less and less a place for the
      creative soul. I had heard that the Unitarian church might be the place to
      check out, but there are none w/in half an hour. The Cathedral of St. John
      the Divine in NYC hosts some great things, but again, they are too far away.
      What's a person and parent to do?

      Lizzie
    • jamcconney@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 7, 2001
        In a message dated 11/7/2001 10:34:31 AM Central Standard Time,
        ERATRIANO@... writes:

        > Oh and it is getting harder. When I worked in NYC for a church
        > organization,
        > there were pagans and gays to talk to. Now, between living further from
        > the
        > City (is there a measure of Logres in Manhattan even??), and the pendulum
        > swinging towards the Right again, I am finding myself less and less at home
        >
        > in the Episcopal church. While it is a great place to talk literature and
        > enjoy the Book of Common Prayer and all, it is less and less a place for
        > the
        > creative soul.

        Alas, I'm afraid that it's getting harder in all denominations; there is a
        real polarization going on and a number of people think the next great
        Christian schism will be liberal/ fundamentalist. But--nice as it would be to
        converse only with the people who agree with us--I can't help feeling it
        isn't very healthy, for us and certainly not for them.

        The more I think about it, the more I think the problem isn't so much a lack
        of intellect as it is a lack of imagination. These are the people who aren't
        capable of flights of fantasy but need to nail down what it MEANS. Since they
        can't accept Harry Potter as a clever and charming story, they have to find
        some deep and fundamentally evil conspiracy in it. These are the people who
        go around saying to hapless children, "Do you see now? Aslan is really Jesus
        Christ and this part of the story means that...." They are sad beings, and
        since we in this list (though we may lack practicality, financial skills and
        the ability to remember where we put the keys) are certainly not suffering
        from imaginative deprivation, surely it behooves us to at least attempt to
        open whatever gateways, in wardrobes and elsewhere, we can find for them.
        It's tough--but don't give up.

        Jamaq

      • Janet Croft
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 7, 2001
          "gateways in wardrobes and elsewhere" -- beautiful!

          Janet
          ERATRIANO@... writes:

          > Oh and it is getting harder. When I worked in NYC for a church
          > organization,
          > there were pagans and gays to talk to. Now, between living further from
          > the
          > City (is there a measure of Logres in Manhattan even??), and the
          pendulum
          > swinging towards the Right again, I am finding myself less and less at
          home

          > in the Episcopal church. While it is a great place to talk literature
          and
          > enjoy the Book of Common Prayer and all, it is less and less a place for
          > the
          > creative soul.

          Alas, I'm afraid that it's getting harder in all denominations; there is a
          real polarization going on and a number of people think the next great
          Christian schism will be liberal/ fundamentalist. But--nice as it would be
          converse only with the people who agree with us--I can't help feeling it
          isn't very healthy, for us and certainly not for them.

          The more I think about it, the more I think the problem isn't so much a
          lack
          of intellect as it is a lack of imagination. These are the people who
          aren't
          capable of flights of fantasy but need to nail down what it MEANS. Since
          they
          can't accept Harry Potter as a clever and charming story, they have to
          find
          some deep and fundamentally evil conspiracy in it. These are the people
          who
          go around saying to hapless children, "Do you see now? Aslan is really
          Jesus
          Christ and this part of the story means that...." They are sad beings, and
          since we in this list (though we may lack practicality, financial skills
          and
          the ability to remember where we put the keys) are certainly not suffering
          from imaginative deprivation, surely it behooves us to at least attempt to
          open whatever gateways, in wardrobes and elsewhere, we can find for them.
          It's tough--but don't give up.

          Jamaq

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • ERATRIANO@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 7, 2001
            BTW Is there another list where this discussion is ongoing already? I know
            this list prefers not to run away with religion. Or so it seems.

            Lizzie
          • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 7, 2001
              jamcconney@... wrote:

              > They are sad beings, and
              > since we in this list (though we may lack practicality, financial skills and
              > the ability to remember where we put the keys) are certainly not suffering
              > from imaginative deprivation, surely it behooves us to at least attempt to
              > open whatever gateways, in wardrobes and elsewhere, we can find for them.
              > It's tough--but don't give up.

              Speak for yourself on the financial skills, I got some of those. The keys, on the
              other hand, are forever in trouble, sigh. Still fantastic imagination is right
              up there, so long as it isn't in the accounting books!

              Mythically yours,

              Lisa aka Ye Madam Treasurer, The Mythopoeic Society
              (I even do it for a living)
            • dianejoy@earthlink.net
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 8, 2001
                dianejoy@... writes:

                << ACK! Dear Lord, it is so hard to be a "middle of the road" Christian!
                ---djb >>

                Oh and it is getting harder. When I worked in NYC for a church organization,
                there were pagans and gays to talk to. Now, between living further from the
                City (is there a measure of Logres in Manhattan even??), and the pendulum
                swinging towards the Right again, I am finding myself less and less at home
                in the Episcopal church. While it is a great place to talk literature and
                enjoy the Book of Common Prayer and all, it is less and less a place for the
                creative soul. I had heard that the Unitarian church might be the place to
                check out, but there are none w/in half an hour. The Cathedral of St. John
                the Divine in NYC hosts some great things, but again, they are too far away.
                What's a person and parent to do?

                Lizzie

                I've even more limited resources: I don't drive---and never will. So I am limited to the churches within my neighborhood. I'm loath to leave where I attend---for I actually can persuade people to pick me up and take me to church; when winter comes, it becomes more difficult to keep going unless I have such help.

                I suppose we can start our own? I hate to say so, but finding a place which teaches the Scriptures, and doesn't fall off the ledge on either the left (too liberal) or the right (too sensationalist, descending into superstitious nonsense) is very difficult. I feel a bit like Goldilocks, who hasn't yet found the home of the Three Bears. ---djb

                http://mail2web.com/ .
              • Juliet Blosser
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 12, 2001
                  On Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 11:33:25AM -0500, ERATRIANO@... wrote:
                  > In a message dated 11/07/01 10:56:24 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                  > dianejoy@... writes:
                  >
                  > << ACK! Dear Lord, it is so hard to be a "middle of the road" Christian!
                  > ---djb >>
                  >
                  > Oh and it is getting harder. When I worked in NYC for a church organization,
                  > there were pagans and gays to talk to. Now, between living further from the
                  > City (is there a measure of Logres in Manhattan even??), and the pendulum
                  > swinging towards the Right again, I am finding myself less and less at home
                  > in the Episcopal church. While it is a great place to talk literature and
                  > enjoy the Book of Common Prayer and all, it is less and less a place for the
                  > creative soul. I had heard that the Unitarian church might be the place to
                  > check out, but there are none w/in half an hour. The Cathedral of St. John
                  > the Divine in NYC hosts some great things, but again, they are too far away.
                  > What's a person and parent to do?
                  >
                  > Lizzie

                  Lizzie,

                  In our experience, the congregation matters much more than the denomination.
                  We're currently in a small Christian Reformed congregation, and our pastor
                  has LOTR on the shelf in his office. There are certainly members with less
                  grace in our congregation, but for the most part the leadership is very
                  mature in concepts of grace. Keep looking, and don't be afraid to look
                  in some less-likely places. :)
                • ERATRIANO@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 12, 2001
                    In a message dated 11/12/01 12:44:59 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                    juliet@... writes:

                    << n our experience, the congregation matters much more than the denomination.
                    We're currently in a small Christian Reformed congregation, and our pastor
                    has LOTR on the shelf in his office. There are certainly members with less
                    grace in our congregation, but for the most part the leadership is very
                    mature in concepts of grace. Keep looking, and don't be afraid to look in
                    some less-likely places. :) >>

                    you are of course correct. one needs a little reassurance now and then
                    though. so thanks. :-)

                    lizzie