RE: [mythsoc] Harry Potter

  • dianejoy@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 100 , Nov 7, 2001
      Original Message:
      -----------------
      From: Stolzi@...
      Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 17:42:56 EST
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [mythsoc] Harry Potter

      Found this interesting comment on another List:

      "I think the [fundamentalist] Potter critics are going to be eating crow when
      Rowling writes a decidedly Christian ending to the whole series. She has
      hinted as much."

      (Has she, really, though?)

      Diamond Proudbrook

      I'm figuring the writer is merely speculating, seeing the scope of the first four novels and hoping that the end will reflect Christian sacrifice. Personally, I vehemently hope so; I've been hearing entirely too much from the "J. K. Rowling is a witch" crowd. These folks go by hearsay---or else, if they have actually *read* the books, they see entirely too many demons in dusty corners. John Hagee---one of those over-sensationalized thud and blunder Christian ministers who deals in "end times prophecy" and demon-worship---meaning he gives entirely too much attention to the infernal---has done a whole series of shows on Harry Potter---for which he charges $55. Talk about Occult.

      Unfortunately, some folks with this sensationalist belief system actually attend the church I currently attend. (I have not formally joined---and after this, I may not.) There was some discussion at last Tuesday's Bible study of "ritual Satanic sacrifice," since Halloween fell on a full moon. One of the women across the room brought up the notion---and while I mentioned to my neighbor that I'd have to do a lot of research on that subject before I believed it, it wasn't salutary to raise a protest before the whole group. I want to marshall some facts to combat these fictions. And if they believe *this,* you can imagine what they'd think of poor Harry. ACK! Dear Lord, it is so hard to be a "middle of the road" Christian! ---djb

      http://mail2web.com/ .
    • Berni Phillips
      Message 100 of 100 , Aug 17, 2005
        From: "Stolzi" <Stolzi@...>

        > http://www.comics.com/comics/nancy/archive/nancy-20050817.html
        >
        > or
        >
        > http://tinyurl.com/c5mr8

        Wow, I didn't know they were still publishing Nancy! I see they've updated
        the look of her aunt's but not Nancy herself. I guess it would be like
        Blondie and Dagwood getting different hairstyles. They're all prisoners of
        their hairdos.

        Berni