RE: [mythsoc] LOTR "Class"

  • Janet Croft
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 5, 2001
      My daugher (12 years old & home schooled) took this. I looked at the
      readings for the first two lessons closely and thought it not too bad, but
      the teacher is interested in pagan (mostly Norse, IIRC) influences on
      Tolkien and may emphasize this more than another teacher might. However, I
      figured my daughter would be reading and studying LoTR all her life and
      would encounter many viewpoints; I emphasized to her that this was only one.
      Fortunately, since we own at least 4 copies and Sarah has her own, we didn't
      have to fall for their marketing ploy...we've already done our part to keep
      Houghton Mifflin solvent ;).

      Janet