LOTR "Class"

  • Edith Crowe
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 5, 2001
      A co-worker alerted me to this "class" at "Barnes & Noble University" (
      there ought to be regulations on the use of the word "university"...).
      Clearly it's a marketing ploy to sell books, but it's interesting.
      Lesson 11 (I think) mentions Lewis & Williams as well.

      http://www.barnesandnobleuniversity.com/BaseServlet/sched_home;jsessionid=aaadVZxEKo-q7u?schedulingId=50843&mapid=20843

      Edith
    • David S. Bratman
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 5, 2001
        Looks well-organized, actually. The instructor (or perhaps I should say,
        lesson plan author), Leslie Ellen Jones, has a Ph.D., so I looked her up in
        Dissertation Abstracts: she did her thesis on the otherworld in Welsh
        Arthurian romances, at UCLA under Patrick Ford. Which is a pretty
        impressive fact to have on your resume, I'd say.

        David Bratman

        At 09:16 AM 11/5/2001 , Edith Crowe wrote:
        >A co-worker alerted me to this "class" at "Barnes & Noble University" (
        >there ought to be regulations on the use of the word "university"...).
        >Clearly it's a marketing ploy to sell books, but it's interesting.
        >Lesson 11 (I think) mentions Lewis & Williams as well.
      • Janet Croft
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 5, 2001
          My daugher (12 years old & home schooled) took this. I looked at the
          readings for the first two lessons closely and thought it not too bad, but
          the teacher is interested in pagan (mostly Norse, IIRC) influences on
          Tolkien and may emphasize this more than another teacher might. However, I
          figured my daughter would be reading and studying LoTR all her life and
          would encounter many viewpoints; I emphasized to her that this was only one.
          Fortunately, since we own at least 4 copies and Sarah has her own, we didn't
          have to fall for their marketing ploy...we've already done our part to keep
          Houghton Mifflin solvent ;).

          Janet

          A co-worker alerted me to this "class" at "Barnes & Noble University" (
          there ought to be regulations on the use of the word "university"...).
          Clearly it's a marketing ploy to sell books, but it's interesting.
          Lesson 11 (I think) mentions Lewis & Williams as well.

          http://www.barnesandnobleuniversity.com/BaseServlet/sched_home;jsessionid=aa
          adVZxEKo-q7u?schedulingId=50843&mapid=20843

          Edith

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor