Fwd: Thog's Critical Masterclass

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 5, 2001
      From _Ansible_ 172, ed. Dave Langford. The department of great bloopers in
      science fiction & fantasy offers what would be a useful sidebar to the
      Boston Globe article forwarded by Wayne:

      >THOG'S CRITICAL MASTERCLASS. A school website suggests a disarmingly
      >radical new approach to reading fantasy: `The well-known story of _Alice
      >in Wonderland_ takes on a whole new view when read in its original form.'
      >(Metropolitan School District of Mt.Vernon, USA)

      David Bratman
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 5, 2001
        I wanted to figure out what the sentence quoted in "Thog's Critical
        Masterclass" in _Ansible_ came from, so I did a web search. First, the Mt.
        Vernon mentioned is the one in Indiana. Here's the page it's quoted from:

        http://msdmv.k12.in.us/mvjhs/schoolinformation/media%20center/Butcher/sciencef

        ictionandfantasy.htm

        You get to this page from the Mt. Vernon schools main webpage

        http://sol.msdmv.k12.in.us

        by clicking on Mt. Vernon Junior High School, then on Media Center, then on
        Science Fiction and Fantasy (at the bottom of the page). So this is a junior
        high school's list of recommended science fiction and fantasy. A wierd
        description of _Alice in Wonderland_ perhaps, but not as strange as _Ansible_
        makes it sound.