Re: shibboleth

  • jamcconney@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2001
      In a message dated 10/31/2001 4:13:55 PM Central Standard Time,
      jprobins@... writes:

      > I thought that shibboleth referred to a password or secret word originally
      > and, in English, referred to when a proper noun (like an individual's name)
      > had become merely a watchword or byword for a particular concept or idea,
      > losing the remainder of its individual qualities along the way.

      The origin of this use of the word 'shibboleth' can be found in the Old
      Testament, Judges 12:4ff. in which Jephthah uses 'shibboleth' as a password
      because the Gileadites could pronounce it but the Ephraimites, who were
      infiltrating their lines, could not.
      Jamaq