Re: LotR's Movie Tie-Ins

  • Michael Martinez
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 31, 2001
      I don't remember which company it was, but someone was selling or
      giving out One Ring replicas at Dragoncon. I noticed even some of my
      Tolkien track staff members were wearing them, but I didn't feel any
      compulsion to go get one for myself. Of course, I also regret the
      exclusion of Bombadil from the movies, and the subsequent alterations
      to the storyline to justify the "time saving". Still, a lot of
      constraints are laid upon these companies. They pretty much have to
      duplicate what is in the movies and not go off on their own.

      I like some of the stuff myself, and have already purchased a couple
      of the Arwen things for my 10-year-old niece from Giftgiving.Com
      (which Xenite.Org was invited to promote through their affiliate
      program). If it makes you folks feel any better, most people seem to
      be looking rather than buying. The Tolkien movie merchandise bonanza
      doesn't yet seem to have paid off for many companies.

      It will be interesting to see what these companies report about their
      product lines' sales in January.