Re: [mythsoc] LotR's Movie Tie-Ins

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 31, 2001
      It's not that a reproduction of the One Ring would have the power of the
      original: it's that if you have enough respect for the book to want
      reproductions of anything in it, or the minimal amount of knowledge of the
      story needed to design one, the One Ring is the last thing you'd want.

      Obviously somebody's read the book, but the people who invented and
      designed these gimcracks possibly haven't.

      Here's what Tolkien thought of such things (Letter 343):

      "A drinking goblet arrived (from a fan) which proved to be of steel
      engraved with the terrible words seen on the Ring. I =of course= [emphasis
      added] have never drunk from it, but use it for tobacco ash."

      David Bratman
    • Michael Martinez
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 31, 2001
        I don't remember which company it was, but someone was selling or
        giving out One Ring replicas at Dragoncon. I noticed even some of my
        Tolkien track staff members were wearing them, but I didn't feel any
        compulsion to go get one for myself. Of course, I also regret the
        exclusion of Bombadil from the movies, and the subsequent alterations
        to the storyline to justify the "time saving". Still, a lot of
        constraints are laid upon these companies. They pretty much have to
        duplicate what is in the movies and not go off on their own.

        I like some of the stuff myself, and have already purchased a couple
        of the Arwen things for my 10-year-old niece from Giftgiving.Com
        (which Xenite.Org was invited to promote through their affiliate
        program). If it makes you folks feel any better, most people seem to
        be looking rather than buying. The Tolkien movie merchandise bonanza
        doesn't yet seem to have paid off for many companies.

        It will be interesting to see what these companies report about their
        product lines' sales in January.