Re: [mythsoc] LotR's Movie Tie-Ins

  • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 31, 2001
      In REPRODUCTION the One Ring doesn't bother me too much, now if it was forged
      at the Cracks of Doom, then I'd worry. And I've read those books a lot. Magic
      doesn't work too well in reproduction.

      In fact Repros would be nice, confuse the hell out of anyone looking for the
      real one.

      Remember Elijah Wood kept his copy of the Ring. No reports of his being
      visited by strangers, breaking into his house or anything. So I think the
      Powers that Would Be Looking have already figured that there are "ringers"
      out there that they should not bother with.

      Frankly, I want to know if they figured out how to make Sting glow (but then
      you'd have to find some Orcs so maybe not...)

      As for how "faithful" the items are, they are licenses from New Line Cinema,
      so they are based on the movies' images, which means that the book has been
      read someplace. In fact juding by the rest of what the company carries, I
      would think that several bodies at Noble Collections are fantasy readers
      already and probably sought the items out. After all they are working with
      several other Fantasy artists besides the LotR stuff.

      But since my house is already very cluttered, I shan't be buying any of the
      tchotchkes. I just reported on their existance because I know that some
      tchotchke buyer in our group would probably want to check them out.

      I wish I could find space for the Ring Projection box. I've always wanted one
      of those things, but couldn't figure out a good excuse. This one would be
      fun.

      Mythically yours,

      Lisa

      "David S. Bratman" wrote:

      > I am torn between awarding the cluelessness prize to:
      >
      > a) anyone who's read LOTR and thinks a reproduction of the One Ring is a
      > good idea;
      >
      > b) anyone who hasn't read LOTR but is designing Tolkien brickabrack (the
      > Yiddish term, tchotchkes, is probably better) for sale.
    • David S. Bratman
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 31, 2001
        It's not that a reproduction of the One Ring would have the power of the
        original: it's that if you have enough respect for the book to want
        reproductions of anything in it, or the minimal amount of knowledge of the
        story needed to design one, the One Ring is the last thing you'd want.

        Obviously somebody's read the book, but the people who invented and
        designed these gimcracks possibly haven't.

        Here's what Tolkien thought of such things (Letter 343):

        "A drinking goblet arrived (from a fan) which proved to be of steel
        engraved with the terrible words seen on the Ring. I =of course= [emphasis
        added] have never drunk from it, but use it for tobacco ash."

        David Bratman
      • Michael Martinez
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 31, 2001
          I don't remember which company it was, but someone was selling or
          giving out One Ring replicas at Dragoncon. I noticed even some of my
          Tolkien track staff members were wearing them, but I didn't feel any
          compulsion to go get one for myself. Of course, I also regret the
          exclusion of Bombadil from the movies, and the subsequent alterations
          to the storyline to justify the "time saving". Still, a lot of
          constraints are laid upon these companies. They pretty much have to
          duplicate what is in the movies and not go off on their own.

          I like some of the stuff myself, and have already purchased a couple
          of the Arwen things for my 10-year-old niece from Giftgiving.Com
          (which Xenite.Org was invited to promote through their affiliate
          program). If it makes you folks feel any better, most people seem to
          be looking rather than buying. The Tolkien movie merchandise bonanza
          doesn't yet seem to have paid off for many companies.

          It will be interesting to see what these companies report about their
          product lines' sales in January.