Re: [mythsoc] LotR's Movie Tie-Ins

  • Trudy Shaw
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 31, 2001
      Gee, I don't know if I've ever replied to myself, but I reread the message I just sent and realized I should probably clarify something. The city editor didn't tell me to use "damn," he told me _not_ to use "very" unless I could substitute "damn" and _mean_ it! In my job that usually meant eliminating all the "very's" the reporters used. I'm still betting his ultimate source for the advice was Twain.--Trudy
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 31, 2001
        In REPRODUCTION the One Ring doesn't bother me too much, now if it was forged
        at the Cracks of Doom, then I'd worry. And I've read those books a lot. Magic
        doesn't work too well in reproduction.

        In fact Repros would be nice, confuse the hell out of anyone looking for the
        real one.

        Remember Elijah Wood kept his copy of the Ring. No reports of his being
        visited by strangers, breaking into his house or anything. So I think the
        Powers that Would Be Looking have already figured that there are "ringers"
        out there that they should not bother with.

        Frankly, I want to know if they figured out how to make Sting glow (but then
        you'd have to find some Orcs so maybe not...)

        As for how "faithful" the items are, they are licenses from New Line Cinema,
        so they are based on the movies' images, which means that the book has been
        read someplace. In fact juding by the rest of what the company carries, I
        would think that several bodies at Noble Collections are fantasy readers
        already and probably sought the items out. After all they are working with
        several other Fantasy artists besides the LotR stuff.

        But since my house is already very cluttered, I shan't be buying any of the
        tchotchkes. I just reported on their existance because I know that some
        tchotchke buyer in our group would probably want to check them out.

        I wish I could find space for the Ring Projection box. I've always wanted one
        of those things, but couldn't figure out a good excuse. This one would be
        fun.

        Mythically yours,

        Lisa

        "David S. Bratman" wrote:

        > I am torn between awarding the cluelessness prize to:
        >
        > a) anyone who's read LOTR and thinks a reproduction of the One Ring is a
        > good idea;
        >
        > b) anyone who hasn't read LOTR but is designing Tolkien brickabrack (the
        > Yiddish term, tchotchkes, is probably better) for sale.
      • David S. Bratman
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 31, 2001
          It's not that a reproduction of the One Ring would have the power of the
          original: it's that if you have enough respect for the book to want
          reproductions of anything in it, or the minimal amount of knowledge of the
          story needed to design one, the One Ring is the last thing you'd want.

          Obviously somebody's read the book, but the people who invented and
          designed these gimcracks possibly haven't.

          Here's what Tolkien thought of such things (Letter 343):

          "A drinking goblet arrived (from a fan) which proved to be of steel
          engraved with the terrible words seen on the Ring. I =of course= [emphasis
          added] have never drunk from it, but use it for tobacco ash."

          David Bratman
        • Michael Martinez
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 31, 2001
            I don't remember which company it was, but someone was selling or
            giving out One Ring replicas at Dragoncon. I noticed even some of my
            Tolkien track staff members were wearing them, but I didn't feel any
            compulsion to go get one for myself. Of course, I also regret the
            exclusion of Bombadil from the movies, and the subsequent alterations
            to the storyline to justify the "time saving". Still, a lot of
            constraints are laid upon these companies. They pretty much have to
            duplicate what is in the movies and not go off on their own.

            I like some of the stuff myself, and have already purchased a couple
            of the Arwen things for my 10-year-old niece from Giftgiving.Com
            (which Xenite.Org was invited to promote through their affiliate
            program). If it makes you folks feel any better, most people seem to
            be looking rather than buying. The Tolkien movie merchandise bonanza
            doesn't yet seem to have paid off for many companies.

            It will be interesting to see what these companies report about their
            product lines' sales in January.