Re: [mythsoc] George Sayers Tolkien archive being auctioned

  • Trudy Shaw
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 31 12:38 PM
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: David S. Bratman
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2001 1:20 PM
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] George Sayers Tolkien archive being auctioned

      I'm pleased to note Tolkien's correct use of the word "crescendo" (it means
      growing louder, not a climax). And immediately afterwards, the author of
      the auction description demonstrates a correct use of the word "hopefully".

      That the English language lives is no less remarkable than that this
      material should be offered for an estimated price of approximately 30,000
      pounds sterling.

      David Bratman

      A bit pricey for a Christmas present, but I _am_ glad it costs more than the previously-mentioned set of blocks.

      The comment on "hopefully" brought to mind a British website where I do a fair amount of posting on the message boards. When I finish writing a message and click on the button to post it, a note appears stating that my message will be posted "presently." I get a little glow each time I see that; it's so lovely and rare to see the word used correctly.
      --Trudy