Re: [mythsoc] LotR's Movie Tie-Ins

  • Juliet Blosser
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 31, 2001
      On Wed, Oct 31, 2001 at 01:39:07PM -0600, Matthew Winslow wrote:
      > Ted Sherman [tedsherman@...] wrote:
      > > And I was at Wal-Mart today and saw in the toy section a "Lord of the Rings
      > > Mines of Moria" Lego set for only $60. It is as bad as you can imagine.
      >
      > For clarification, it's not Lego, but Intelli-Blox:
      >
      > http://www.playmatestoys.com/html/lor_main.html

      From the picture, it looks a bit shoddier than most Lego products. But,
      for those who would like to gawk in dismay at Lego's products, be sure
      to check out http://www.lego.com/harrypotter/, where you can find
      your very own tiny plastic Sorceror's Stone, among other things.
    • Trudy Shaw
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 31, 2001
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 31, 2001
          Gee, I don't know if I've ever replied to myself, but I reread the message I just sent and realized I should probably clarify something. The city editor didn't tell me to use "damn," he told me _not_ to use "very" unless I could substitute "damn" and _mean_ it! In my job that usually meant eliminating all the "very's" the reporters used. I'm still betting his ultimate source for the advice was Twain.--Trudy
          "Substitute 'damn' every time you're inclined to write 'very'; your editor
          will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be."
          --Mark Twain

          I don't usually "reply" regarding someone's "signature," but I want to thank you for giving me the identity of the originator of one of the first lessons I was taught when I started as a young proofreader at a daily newspaper over 20 years ago. I should have guessed Twain, but I suppose I was in enough awe of the city editor that I just assumed he'd thought it up himself.--Trudy

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 31, 2001
            In REPRODUCTION the One Ring doesn't bother me too much, now if it was forged
            at the Cracks of Doom, then I'd worry. And I've read those books a lot. Magic
            doesn't work too well in reproduction.

            In fact Repros would be nice, confuse the hell out of anyone looking for the
            real one.

            Remember Elijah Wood kept his copy of the Ring. No reports of his being
            visited by strangers, breaking into his house or anything. So I think the
            Powers that Would Be Looking have already figured that there are "ringers"
            out there that they should not bother with.

            Frankly, I want to know if they figured out how to make Sting glow (but then
            you'd have to find some Orcs so maybe not...)

            As for how "faithful" the items are, they are licenses from New Line Cinema,
            so they are based on the movies' images, which means that the book has been
            read someplace. In fact juding by the rest of what the company carries, I
            would think that several bodies at Noble Collections are fantasy readers
            already and probably sought the items out. After all they are working with
            several other Fantasy artists besides the LotR stuff.

            But since my house is already very cluttered, I shan't be buying any of the
            tchotchkes. I just reported on their existance because I know that some
            tchotchke buyer in our group would probably want to check them out.

            I wish I could find space for the Ring Projection box. I've always wanted one
            of those things, but couldn't figure out a good excuse. This one would be
            fun.

            Mythically yours,

            Lisa

            "David S. Bratman" wrote:

            > I am torn between awarding the cluelessness prize to:
            >
            > a) anyone who's read LOTR and thinks a reproduction of the One Ring is a
            > good idea;
            >
            > b) anyone who hasn't read LOTR but is designing Tolkien brickabrack (the
            > Yiddish term, tchotchkes, is probably better) for sale.
          • David S. Bratman
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 31, 2001
              It's not that a reproduction of the One Ring would have the power of the
              original: it's that if you have enough respect for the book to want
              reproductions of anything in it, or the minimal amount of knowledge of the
              story needed to design one, the One Ring is the last thing you'd want.

              Obviously somebody's read the book, but the people who invented and
              designed these gimcracks possibly haven't.

              Here's what Tolkien thought of such things (Letter 343):

              "A drinking goblet arrived (from a fan) which proved to be of steel
              engraved with the terrible words seen on the Ring. I =of course= [emphasis
              added] have never drunk from it, but use it for tobacco ash."

              David Bratman
            • Michael Martinez
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 31, 2001
                I don't remember which company it was, but someone was selling or
                giving out One Ring replicas at Dragoncon. I noticed even some of my
                Tolkien track staff members were wearing them, but I didn't feel any
                compulsion to go get one for myself. Of course, I also regret the
                exclusion of Bombadil from the movies, and the subsequent alterations
                to the storyline to justify the "time saving". Still, a lot of
                constraints are laid upon these companies. They pretty much have to
                duplicate what is in the movies and not go off on their own.

                I like some of the stuff myself, and have already purchased a couple
                of the Arwen things for my 10-year-old niece from Giftgiving.Com
                (which Xenite.Org was invited to promote through their affiliate
                program). If it makes you folks feel any better, most people seem to
                be looking rather than buying. The Tolkien movie merchandise bonanza
                doesn't yet seem to have paid off for many companies.

                It will be interesting to see what these companies report about their
                product lines' sales in January.