Re: [mythsoc] LotR's Movie Tie-Ins

  • Matthew Winslow
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 31, 2001
      Ted Sherman [tedsherman@...] wrote:
      > And I was at Wal-Mart today and saw in the toy section a "Lord of the Rings
      > Mines of Moria" Lego set for only $60. It is as bad as you can imagine.

      For clarification, it's not Lego, but Intelli-Blox:

      http://www.playmatestoys.com/html/lor_main.html

      "Substitute 'damn' every time you're inclined to write 'very'; your editor
      will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be."
      --Mark Twain
      Currently reading: We Speak No Treason by Rosemary Hawley Jarman
    • Juliet Blosser
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 31, 2001
        On Wed, Oct 31, 2001 at 01:39:07PM -0600, Matthew Winslow wrote:
        > Ted Sherman [tedsherman@...] wrote:
        > > And I was at Wal-Mart today and saw in the toy section a "Lord of the Rings
        > > Mines of Moria" Lego set for only $60. It is as bad as you can imagine.
        >
        > For clarification, it's not Lego, but Intelli-Blox:
        >
        > http://www.playmatestoys.com/html/lor_main.html

        From the picture, it looks a bit shoddier than most Lego products. But,
        for those who would like to gawk in dismay at Lego's products, be sure
        to check out http://www.lego.com/harrypotter/, where you can find
        your very own tiny plastic Sorceror's Stone, among other things.
      • Trudy Shaw
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 31, 2001
          "Substitute 'damn' every time you're inclined to write 'very'; your editor
          will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be."
          --Mark Twain

          I don't usually "reply" regarding someone's "signature," but I want to thank you for giving me the identity of the originator of one of the first lessons I was taught when I started as a young proofreader at a daily newspaper over 20 years ago. I should have guessed Twain, but I suppose I was in enough awe of the city editor that I just assumed he'd thought it up himself.--Trudy

        • Trudy Shaw
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 31, 2001
            Gee, I don't know if I've ever replied to myself, but I reread the message I just sent and realized I should probably clarify something. The city editor didn't tell me to use "damn," he told me _not_ to use "very" unless I could substitute "damn" and _mean_ it! In my job that usually meant eliminating all the "very's" the reporters used. I'm still betting his ultimate source for the advice was Twain.--Trudy
            "Substitute 'damn' every time you're inclined to write 'very'; your editor
            will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be."
            --Mark Twain

            I don't usually "reply" regarding someone's "signature," but I want to thank you for giving me the identity of the originator of one of the first lessons I was taught when I started as a young proofreader at a daily newspaper over 20 years ago. I should have guessed Twain, but I suppose I was in enough awe of the city editor that I just assumed he'd thought it up himself.--Trudy

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 31, 2001
              In REPRODUCTION the One Ring doesn't bother me too much, now if it was forged
              at the Cracks of Doom, then I'd worry. And I've read those books a lot. Magic
              doesn't work too well in reproduction.

              In fact Repros would be nice, confuse the hell out of anyone looking for the
              real one.

              Remember Elijah Wood kept his copy of the Ring. No reports of his being
              visited by strangers, breaking into his house or anything. So I think the
              Powers that Would Be Looking have already figured that there are "ringers"
              out there that they should not bother with.

              Frankly, I want to know if they figured out how to make Sting glow (but then
              you'd have to find some Orcs so maybe not...)

              As for how "faithful" the items are, they are licenses from New Line Cinema,
              so they are based on the movies' images, which means that the book has been
              read someplace. In fact juding by the rest of what the company carries, I
              would think that several bodies at Noble Collections are fantasy readers
              already and probably sought the items out. After all they are working with
              several other Fantasy artists besides the LotR stuff.

              But since my house is already very cluttered, I shan't be buying any of the
              tchotchkes. I just reported on their existance because I know that some
              tchotchke buyer in our group would probably want to check them out.

              I wish I could find space for the Ring Projection box. I've always wanted one
              of those things, but couldn't figure out a good excuse. This one would be
              fun.

              Mythically yours,

              Lisa

              "David S. Bratman" wrote:

              > I am torn between awarding the cluelessness prize to:
              >
              > a) anyone who's read LOTR and thinks a reproduction of the One Ring is a
              > good idea;
              >
              > b) anyone who hasn't read LOTR but is designing Tolkien brickabrack (the
              > Yiddish term, tchotchkes, is probably better) for sale.
            • David S. Bratman
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 31, 2001
                It's not that a reproduction of the One Ring would have the power of the
                original: it's that if you have enough respect for the book to want
                reproductions of anything in it, or the minimal amount of knowledge of the
                story needed to design one, the One Ring is the last thing you'd want.

                Obviously somebody's read the book, but the people who invented and
                designed these gimcracks possibly haven't.

                Here's what Tolkien thought of such things (Letter 343):

                "A drinking goblet arrived (from a fan) which proved to be of steel
                engraved with the terrible words seen on the Ring. I =of course= [emphasis
                added] have never drunk from it, but use it for tobacco ash."

                David Bratman
              • Michael Martinez
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 31, 2001
                  I don't remember which company it was, but someone was selling or
                  giving out One Ring replicas at Dragoncon. I noticed even some of my
                  Tolkien track staff members were wearing them, but I didn't feel any
                  compulsion to go get one for myself. Of course, I also regret the
                  exclusion of Bombadil from the movies, and the subsequent alterations
                  to the storyline to justify the "time saving". Still, a lot of
                  constraints are laid upon these companies. They pretty much have to
                  duplicate what is in the movies and not go off on their own.

                  I like some of the stuff myself, and have already purchased a couple
                  of the Arwen things for my 10-year-old niece from Giftgiving.Com
                  (which Xenite.Org was invited to promote through their affiliate
                  program). If it makes you folks feel any better, most people seem to
                  be looking rather than buying. The Tolkien movie merchandise bonanza
                  doesn't yet seem to have paid off for many companies.

                  It will be interesting to see what these companies report about their
                  product lines' sales in January.