LotR's Movie Tie-Ins

  • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 31, 2001
      We knew they would happen...

      I just got a catalogue of that carries historical and fantasy
      stuff and prominent on the cover is a LotR Ring Box. It's quite
      striking actually - 7 1/2 inches in diameter, there's a picture
      of the Nine in silhouette from the movie and it's one of those
      trick mirror things. You put the Ring in the bowl and it hovers
      right at the top of the box, so when you try to reach for it,
      your hand goes right through it. Cleaver.

      On the same two pages are reproductions of Sting, The Pendant of
      Arwen Evenstar, The One Ring (just in a pretty box), and the Ring
      in a crystal globe supported by the Ringwraiths.

      Elsewhere in the Dragon section is a Dragon knife using the
      Hildebrant Smaug as the artwork.

      And there is real reproductions of historical items, Arthurian,
      and other myth and fantasy stuff. Oh, they also have a
      reproduction of the sword from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.
      Also a chess set designed by Vallejo and Julie Bell.

      Needless to say, this stuff is expensive, most is in the $75-300
      range, with some magnificent pieces priced much higher. But we
      are talking real metal and fine artwork here. Think Christmas,
      tell your family...

      Website: http://www.noblecollection.com and the 800 #
      1-800-866-2538. They say if you order through the website they'll
      make a $3 donation to the Red Cross.

      Note-I've just visited the website and it is terribly behind the
      times. Most of the stuff in the catalogue isn't there. So call
      the 800 # and order the catalogue with the pretty pictures.

      Look and Have Fun!

      Mythically yours,

      Lisa
    • David S. Bratman
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 31, 2001
        I am torn between awarding the cluelessness prize to:

        a) anyone who's read LOTR and thinks a reproduction of the One Ring is a
        good idea;

        b) anyone who hasn't read LOTR but is designing Tolkien brickabrack (the
        Yiddish term, tchotchkes, is probably better) for sale.

        David Bratman
      • Matthew Winslow
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 31, 2001
          Ted Sherman [tedsherman@...] wrote:
          > And I was at Wal-Mart today and saw in the toy section a "Lord of the Rings
          > Mines of Moria" Lego set for only $60. It is as bad as you can imagine.

          For clarification, it's not Lego, but Intelli-Blox:

          http://www.playmatestoys.com/html/lor_main.html

          "Substitute 'damn' every time you're inclined to write 'very'; your editor
          will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be."
          --Mark Twain
          Currently reading: We Speak No Treason by Rosemary Hawley Jarman
        • Juliet Blosser
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 31, 2001
            On Wed, Oct 31, 2001 at 01:39:07PM -0600, Matthew Winslow wrote:
            > Ted Sherman [tedsherman@...] wrote:
            > > And I was at Wal-Mart today and saw in the toy section a "Lord of the Rings
            > > Mines of Moria" Lego set for only $60. It is as bad as you can imagine.
            >
            > For clarification, it's not Lego, but Intelli-Blox:
            >
            > http://www.playmatestoys.com/html/lor_main.html

            From the picture, it looks a bit shoddier than most Lego products. But,
            for those who would like to gawk in dismay at Lego's products, be sure
            to check out http://www.lego.com/harrypotter/, where you can find
            your very own tiny plastic Sorceror's Stone, among other things.
          • Trudy Shaw
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 31, 2001
              "Substitute 'damn' every time you're inclined to write 'very'; your editor
              will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be."
              --Mark Twain

              I don't usually "reply" regarding someone's "signature," but I want to thank you for giving me the identity of the originator of one of the first lessons I was taught when I started as a young proofreader at a daily newspaper over 20 years ago. I should have guessed Twain, but I suppose I was in enough awe of the city editor that I just assumed he'd thought it up himself.--Trudy

            • Trudy Shaw
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 31, 2001
                Gee, I don't know if I've ever replied to myself, but I reread the message I just sent and realized I should probably clarify something. The city editor didn't tell me to use "damn," he told me _not_ to use "very" unless I could substitute "damn" and _mean_ it! In my job that usually meant eliminating all the "very's" the reporters used. I'm still betting his ultimate source for the advice was Twain.--Trudy
                "Substitute 'damn' every time you're inclined to write 'very'; your editor
                will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be."
                --Mark Twain

                I don't usually "reply" regarding someone's "signature," but I want to thank you for giving me the identity of the originator of one of the first lessons I was taught when I started as a young proofreader at a daily newspaper over 20 years ago. I should have guessed Twain, but I suppose I was in enough awe of the city editor that I just assumed he'd thought it up himself.--Trudy

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • Ted Sherman
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 31, 2001
                  And I was at Wal-Mart today and saw in the toy section a "Lord of the Rings
                  Mines of Moria" Lego set for only $60. It is as bad as you can imagine.

                  Ted
                  ------------------------------
                  Dr. Theodore J. Sherman, Editor
                  Mythopoeic Literature
                  Associate Professor of English
                  Murfreesboro, TN 37132
                  615 898-5836 Office
                  615 898-5098 FAX
                  tsherman@... Office
                  tedsherman@... Home

                  > I just got a catalogue of that carries historical and fantasy
                  > stuff and prominent on the cover is a LotR Ring Box. It's quite
                  > striking actually - 7 1/2 inches in diameter, there's a picture
                  > of the Nine in silhouette from the movie and it's one of those
                  > trick mirror things. You put the Ring in the bowl and it hovers
                  > right at the top of the box, so when you try to reach for it,
                  > your hand goes right through it. Cleaver.
                  >
                  > On the same two pages are reproductions of Sting, The Pendant of
                  > Arwen Evenstar, The One Ring (just in a pretty box), and the Ring
                  > in a crystal globe supported by the Ringwraiths.
                  >
                  > Elsewhere in the Dragon section is a Dragon knife using the
                  > Hildebrant Smaug as the artwork.
                  >
                  > And there is real reproductions of historical items, Arthurian,
                  > and other myth and fantasy stuff. Oh, they also have a
                  > reproduction of the sword from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.
                  > Also a chess set designed by Vallejo and Julie Bell.
                  >
                  > Needless to say, this stuff is expensive, most is in the $75-300
                  > range, with some magnificent pieces priced much higher. But we
                  > are talking real metal and fine artwork here. Think Christmas,
                  > tell your family...
                  >
                  > Website: http://www.noblecollection.com and the 800 #
                  > 1-800-866-2538. They say if you order through the website they'll
                  > make a $3 donation to the Red Cross.
                  >
                  > Note-I've just visited the website and it is terribly behind the
                  > times. Most of the stuff in the catalogue isn't there. So call
                  > the 800 # and order the catalogue with the pretty pictures.
                  >
                  > Look and Have Fun!
                  >
                  > Mythically yours,
                  >
                  > Lisa

                • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 31, 2001
                    In REPRODUCTION the One Ring doesn't bother me too much, now if it was forged
                    at the Cracks of Doom, then I'd worry. And I've read those books a lot. Magic
                    doesn't work too well in reproduction.

                    In fact Repros would be nice, confuse the hell out of anyone looking for the
                    real one.

                    Remember Elijah Wood kept his copy of the Ring. No reports of his being
                    visited by strangers, breaking into his house or anything. So I think the
                    Powers that Would Be Looking have already figured that there are "ringers"
                    out there that they should not bother with.

                    Frankly, I want to know if they figured out how to make Sting glow (but then
                    you'd have to find some Orcs so maybe not...)

                    As for how "faithful" the items are, they are licenses from New Line Cinema,
                    so they are based on the movies' images, which means that the book has been
                    read someplace. In fact juding by the rest of what the company carries, I
                    would think that several bodies at Noble Collections are fantasy readers
                    already and probably sought the items out. After all they are working with
                    several other Fantasy artists besides the LotR stuff.

                    But since my house is already very cluttered, I shan't be buying any of the
                    tchotchkes. I just reported on their existance because I know that some
                    tchotchke buyer in our group would probably want to check them out.

                    I wish I could find space for the Ring Projection box. I've always wanted one
                    of those things, but couldn't figure out a good excuse. This one would be
                    fun.

                    Mythically yours,

                    Lisa

                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 31, 2001
                      It's not that a reproduction of the One Ring would have the power of the
                      original: it's that if you have enough respect for the book to want
                      reproductions of anything in it, or the minimal amount of knowledge of the
                      story needed to design one, the One Ring is the last thing you'd want.

                      Obviously somebody's read the book, but the people who invented and
                      designed these gimcracks possibly haven't.

                      Here's what Tolkien thought of such things (Letter 343):

                      "A drinking goblet arrived (from a fan) which proved to be of steel
                      engraved with the terrible words seen on the Ring. I =of course= [emphasis
                      added] have never drunk from it, but use it for tobacco ash."

                      David Bratman
                    • Michael Martinez
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 31, 2001
                        I don't remember which company it was, but someone was selling or
                        giving out One Ring replicas at Dragoncon. I noticed even some of my
                        Tolkien track staff members were wearing them, but I didn't feel any
                        compulsion to go get one for myself. Of course, I also regret the
                        exclusion of Bombadil from the movies, and the subsequent alterations
                        to the storyline to justify the "time saving". Still, a lot of
                        constraints are laid upon these companies. They pretty much have to
                        duplicate what is in the movies and not go off on their own.

                        I like some of the stuff myself, and have already purchased a couple
                        of the Arwen things for my 10-year-old niece from Giftgiving.Com
                        (which Xenite.Org was invited to promote through their affiliate
                        program). If it makes you folks feel any better, most people seem to
                        be looking rather than buying. The Tolkien movie merchandise bonanza
                        doesn't yet seem to have paid off for many companies.

                        It will be interesting to see what these companies report about their
                        product lines' sales in January.