Recent Suite101 Tolkien/Middle-earth articles

  • Michael Martinez
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 31, 2001
      http://www.suite101.com/welcome.cfm/tolkien

      31 Oct 2001 Featured Article
      Trick or treat? Spooky Middle-earth
      J.R.R. Tolkien brushed most of the major Western holidays with his
      imaginary history. It's a shame he passed over Halloween. Or did he?

      The Middle-earth Prophecies
      An examination of the role prophecy plays in Middle-earth, and how
      Tolkien distinguishes between true foretelling and forecasting, and
      how prophecy may be a tool for compulsion.

      The Sauron Strategies: One war to win them all, except...
      The second of a two essays examining the strategies Sauron employed
      during the Second and Third Ages. Striving to be like Morgoth, Sauron
      took on the world. Perhaps he bit off more than he could chew.

      The Sauron Strategies: Footsteps into failure
      The first of two articles examining Sauron's strategies and
      objectives. In the Second Age, Sauron proved to be flexible and
      resilient, but he consistently underestimated his enemies' abilities
      and resources.

      Riding in carts with Hobbits
      Tolkien's Hobbits bear some striking resemblances to the pre-Romanic
      Celts who spread across ancient Europe.

      All the king's horses and all the king's men...
      This is the third in a series of articles exploring previously
      unpublished texts about Middle-earth. The 'Osanwe-kenta' text is
      closely identified with J.R.R. Tolkien's 'Orcs' essay and 'Quendi and
      Eldar'. But there may also be a connection with the much
      later 'Shibboleth of Feanor'.
    • ERATRIANO@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 31, 2001
        In a message dated 10/31/01 12:35:53 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        michael@... writes:

        << But there may also be a connection with the much
        later 'Shibboleth of Feanor'. >>

        The what?? And isn't Shibboleth a Hebrew word for something? Sure I'd scope
        the site but I'm just not online much lately.

        Lizzie
      • Michael Martinez
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 31, 2001
          --- In mythsoc@y..., ERATRIANO@a... wrote:
          > In a message dated 10/31/01 12:35:53 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          > michael@x... writes:
          >
          > << But there may also be a connection with the much
          > later 'Shibboleth of Feanor'. >>
          >
          > The what?? And isn't Shibboleth a Hebrew word for something? Sure
          I'd scope
          > the site but I'm just not online much lately.

          Yes, it is a Hebrew word, used in reference to the distinctions drawn
          between peoples. "The Shibboleth of Feanor" is a fairly late essay,
          published in THE PEOPLES OF MIDDLE-EARTH, which discusses how a
          controversy over the change in pronunciation of a specific sound
          (which occurred in his mother's name, and is represented by the Thorn
          character, shifting to an S-sound) led to a division of the Noldor
          into two linguistic communities, reflecting the broader division of
          the nation into what might be called two philosophical or political
          communities (although I think that is oversimplification).
        • James P. Robinson III
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 31, 2001
            I thought that shibboleth referred to a password or secret word originally
            and, in English, referred to when a proper noun (like an individual's name)
            had become merely a watchword or byword for a particular concept or idea,
            losing the remainder of its individual qualities along the way.

            Jim

            As the clock struck 09:55 PM 10/31/2001 +0000, Michael Martinez took pen in
            hand and wrote:
            >--- In mythsoc@y..., ERATRIANO@a... wrote:
            > > In a message dated 10/31/01 12:35:53 PM Eastern Standard Time,
            > > michael@x... writes:
            > >
            > > << But there may also be a connection with the much
            > > later 'Shibboleth of Feanor'. >>
            > >
            > > The what?? And isn't Shibboleth a Hebrew word for something? Sure
            >I'd scope
            > > the site but I'm just not online much lately.
            >
            >Yes, it is a Hebrew word, used in reference to the distinctions drawn
            >between peoples. "The Shibboleth of Feanor" is a fairly late essay,
            >published in THE PEOPLES OF MIDDLE-EARTH, which discusses how a
            >controversy over the change in pronunciation of a specific sound
            >(which occurred in his mother's name, and is represented by the Thorn
            >character, shifting to an S-sound) led to a division of the Noldor
            >into two linguistic communities, reflecting the broader division of
            >the nation into what might be called two philosophical or political
            >communities (although I think that is oversimplification).

            James P. Robinson III jprobins@...

            author. It may be quoted only in discussions on this forum and with
            an attribution to the author, unless permission is otherwise expressly
            given in writing.
          • James P. Robinson III
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 31, 2001
              I should have looked it up before I posted. According to yourdictionary.com:

              Main Entry: shib.bo.leth
              Pronunciation: 'shi-b&-l&th also -"leth
              Function: noun
              Etymology: Hebrew shibbOleth stream; from the
              use of this word
              in Judg 12:6 as a test to distinguish
              Gileadites from Ephraimites,
              who pronounced it sibbOleth
              Date: 1638
              1 a : a word or saying used by adherents of a
              party, sect, or belief
              and usually regarded by others as empty of
              real meaning b : a
              widely held belief c : TRUISM, PLATITUDE
              2 a : a use of language regarded as
              distinctive of a particular
              group b : a custom or usage regarded as
              distinguishing one group
              from others

              hand and wrote:
              >--- In mythsoc@y..., ERATRIANO@a... wrote:
              > > In a message dated 10/31/01 12:35:53 PM Eastern Standard Time,
              > > michael@x... writes:
              > >
              > > << But there may also be a connection with the much
              > > later 'Shibboleth of Feanor'. >>
              > >
              > > The what?? And isn't Shibboleth a Hebrew word for something? Sure
              >I'd scope
              > > the site but I'm just not online much lately.
              >
              >Yes, it is a Hebrew word, used in reference to the distinctions drawn
              >between peoples. "The Shibboleth of Feanor" is a fairly late essay,
              >published in THE PEOPLES OF MIDDLE-EARTH, which discusses how a
              >controversy over the change in pronunciation of a specific sound
              >(which occurred in his mother's name, and is represented by the Thorn
              >character, shifting to an S-sound) led to a division of the Noldor
              >into two linguistic communities, reflecting the broader division of
              >the nation into what might be called two philosophical or political
              >communities (although I think that is oversimplification).

              James P. Robinson III jprobins@...

              author. It may be quoted only in discussions on this forum and with
              an attribution to the author, unless permission is otherwise expressly
              given in writing.
            • Juliet Blosser
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 31, 2001
                On Wed, Oct 31, 2001 at 02:08:13PM -0500, ERATRIANO@... wrote:
                > In a message dated 10/31/01 12:35:53 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                > michael@... writes:
                >
                > << But there may also be a connection with the much
                > later 'Shibboleth of Feanor'. >>
                >
                > The what?? And isn't Shibboleth a Hebrew word for something? Sure I'd scope
                > the site but I'm just not online much lately.
                >
                > Lizzie

                "Shibboleth" comes from Judges 12:6. My condensation of the story:
                The Ammonites were attacking a region of Israel, and God sent a Gileadite
                named Jephthah to take them out. After he came back successful, the
                men of Ephraim, an ethnic subgroup, told Jephthah they were going to
                attack him because they didn't get to go to the battle.

                "Jephthah then called together the men of Gilead and fought against
                Ephraim. The Gileadites struck them down because the Ephraimites had
                said, 'You Gileadites are renegades from Ephraim and Manasseh.' The
                Gileadites captured the fords of the Jordan leading to Ephraim, and
                whenever a survivor of Ephraim siad, 'Let me cross over,' the men of
                Gilead asked him, 'Are you an Ephraimite?' If he replied, 'No,' they
                said, 'All right, say "Shibboleth."' If he said, 'Sibboleth,' because
                he could not pronounce the word correctly, they seized him and killed
                him at the fordes of the Jordan."

                Judges 12:4-6a

                I've long considered this one of the more interesting stories in the Bible.
              • ERATRIANO@aol.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 1, 2001
                  Well that damn Shibboleth discussion is very interesting.

                  Thanks,

                  Lizzie