Re: [mythsoc] Orso Sco Car

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 27, 2001
      Trudy: I find the Ender books about as unreadable as science fiction can
      get, and was referring to the Alvin Maker books which, though they stand on
      their own to a certain extent, are part of a larger whole that the author
      is taking a very long time on indeed. Even without a truncated lifespan he
      may not live to finish it at this rate.

      Mapping out the entire series ahead of time is, of course, no excuse for
      not writing it.

      Re Clark and Timmons: I've reviewed this for an upcoming Mythprint. It's a
      mostly favorable review, particularly for the essays by Shippey and
      Flieger, which are outstanding; but I still think "Tolkien's Legendarium"
      from the same publisher is a better and more useful book (as well as being
      more attractively designed, and less typo-ridden), even though I'm in it.

      Re "Is Middle-earth real?" Your comments are well put, and go along with
      the point I've been trying to make more foggily, which is that the way
      Tolkien intends Middle-earth to be take for "real" is entirely unlike the
      way in which Castaneda intends his fiction to be taken for "real".

      David Bratman