Awards

  • Staci Dumoski
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 19, 1999
      Just to change the subject (nitpicking over supposed details of the
      upcoming movie is not one of my favorites), anyone have any comments on
      the nominees for the mythopoeic awards? I haven't seen any discussion of
      those yet. Myself, I've only read Stardust and would be interested in
      hearing comments from readers of the others, as I head out in search of
      them.

      Staci Ann Dumoski Phantastes
      Editor and Publisher "The Fantasy Writer's Guide"
      editor@... http://www.phantastes.com
    • David Lenander
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 19, 1999
        Actually, we did have some discussion here a while back. And there was a lot in
        Butterbur's Woodshed. Perhaps some of the Butterburians might be persuaded to
        excerpt their remarks here. (Or upload the whole of them...).

        Responding to the message of <Pine.GSO.4.10.9907191517010.10333-100000@gnocchi>
        from mythsoc@onelist.com:

        > From: Staci Dumoski <unicorn@...>
        > Just to change the subject (nitpicking over supposed details of the
        > upcoming movie is not one of my favorites), anyone have any comments on
        > the nominees for the mythopoeic awards? I haven't seen any discussion of
        > those yet. Myself, I've only read Stardust and would be interested in
        > hearing comments from readers of the others, as I head out in search of
        > them.

        David Lenander, Library Manager I
        Bio-Medical Library Access Services work: (612)626-3375
        Circulation, Core Collections & Reserve Desks home: (651)292-8887
        Diehl Hall/505 Essex SE fax: (612)626-2454
        University of Minnesota
        Minneapolis, Minnesota 55455

        e-mail: d-lena@...
        web-page: http://www.tc.umn.edu/nlhome/m391/d-lena/BreeMoot.html
      • Paul F. Labaki
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 24, 1999
          Here are some comments I enclosed with my ballot (if I get time, I would
          like to expand on them):

          Following is my vote:

          Rank 1st for 5 points: Stardust

          I found this to be a charming fairy tale. It Gaiman activated my sense of
          wonder. This was an adult fairy tale that maintained throughout the natural
          feel that all authentic and well told fairy stories have. The connection
          with our world was ever present and Gaimen, by his story, expanded and
          enriched the experiences of this one. The edition I read was without Vess'
          illustrations, but I doubt they would cause me to alter my vote.

          The final list this year seemed to me to contain books that deserved to be
          nominated. In my opinion both The High House and The History of our World
          Beyond the Wave were worthy of consideration. Both failed of their
          promise, perhaps attempting too much for an initial effort by these authors.

          In High House Stoddard is inventive and fun, but as others have commented,
          the book has many flaws, most significantly that Stoddard requires too many
          leaps of faith from the reader to be successful. I just never got the sense
          that the House and the world it inhabits, including the world inhabiting it,
          might actually exist. The poor editorial work was distracting and the author
          should not be faulted for this, but the final work must be. Maybe next
          time.

          Klein did a nice job crafting a novel that celebrates literature by
          emulating literary tradition. He shares that joy of literature with his
          readers. Yet, his charaters are lifeless and do not have the benefit of a
          well developed plot. Sant's moral struggles are real and powerful, but with
          the exception of his war with the gugs (a word I just have to love) I don't
          care about him or his world. His world, not mine. For some reason, this
          issue means a lot to me this year.

          Therefore, I give The High House and The History of our World Beyond the
          Wave
          honorable mentioin, but no points.

          Song for the Basilisk is a nice story of the genre. I would be quite
          proud of myself if I had written it, but ultimately, it is nothing more than
          a good example; there is not much original or even fresh about it. "Within"
          the spirit of the Inklings, which overhelms and engulfs this work. No
          points.

          The de LInt, did not, in my view, exemplify the spirit of the Inklings. I
          always enjoy de Lint. No points.

          Paul Labaki

          ----------
          >From: Staci Dumoski <unicorn@...>
          >To: Mythopoeic Society <mythsoc@onelist.com>
          >Subject: [mythsoc] Awards
          >Date: Mon, Jul 19, 1999, 6:19 PM
          >

          > From: Staci Dumoski <unicorn@...>
          >

          > Just to change the subject (nitpicking over supposed details of the
          > upcoming movie is not one of my favorites), anyone have any comments on
          > the nominees for the mythopoeic awards? I haven't seen any discussion of
          > those yet. Myself, I've only read Stardust and would be interested in
          > hearing comments from readers of the others, as I head out in search of
          > them.
          >

          > Staci Ann Dumoski Phantastes
          > Editor and Publisher "The Fantasy Writer's Guide"
          > editor@... http://www.phantastes.com

          > The Literary Guild´┐Ż offers you half off publishers' edition prices on
          > the books you love to read. Get 5 books for only $2 + 1 free with
          > membership. Go to http://www.onelist.com/ad/doubleday7

        • rspeer
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 24, 1999
            I found this to be a charming fairy tale. It Gaiman activated my sense of
            wonder.
            I liked Neil Gaiman's (I assume you were refrring to Neil Gaiman) short story, Troll Bridge. I thought that was excellent.
            Ron
          • Stolzi@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 25, 1999
              In a message dated 7/24/99 7:34:20 PM Central Daylight Time,
              sheik@... writes:

              > the gugs (a word I just have to love)

              It's from Lovecraft, of all things.

              I didn't rate STARDUST as high as Paul does, though some aspects of it have a
              very Tolkienesque charm. Don't care for DeLint, though this is one of his
              best, nor McKillip, who also has reached a little farther than in previous
              works.

              For sheer imagination and originality, I had to put WORLD BEYOND THE WAVE, a
              strange, compelling sort of book, and HIGH HOUSE on top of my list. Though,
              yes, both have their faults.

              Mary S