Re: [mythsoc] Clark/Timmons book

  • Ted Sherman
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 27, 2001
      Trudy,

      I plan to have a review of Clark-Timmons in the "Tolkien" issue of Mythlore,
      probably out in December-January. I don't want to characterize it one way or
      another in this forum, but I will say it has numerous typographical (&
      other) errors that should have been caught by the editors or in-house
      copyeditor. (But, then, being an editor--and not just on Mythlore--I have a
      nasty habit of catching all kinds of printer's errors in all kinds of
      books.)

      Ted
      ------------------------------
      Dr. Theodore J. Sherman, Editor
      Mythopoeic Literature
      Associate Professor of English
      Murfreesboro, TN 37132
      615 898-5836 Office
      615 898-5098 FAX
      tsherman@... Office
      tedsherman@... Home

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 27, 2001
        I plan to have a review of Clark-Timmons in the "Tolkien" issue of Mythlore,
        probably out in December-January. I don't want to characterize it one way or
        another in this forum, but I will say it has numerous typographical (&
        other) errors that should have been caught by the editors or in-house
        copyeditor. (But, then, being an editor--and not just on Mythlore--I have a
        nasty habit of catching all kinds of printer's errors in all kinds of
        books.)

        Ted

        Having been a proofreader/copy editor for over 20 years, in various incarnations from daily newspapers to medical journals/books to small-press novels, I can definitely relate to your last statement. Even if the errors are minor, they make me wonder how much care has been taken with the more important aspects of the book.

        I'll be looking for the review in Mythlore. Thanks.

        --Trudy

      • Grace E. Funk
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 27, 2001
          Trudy;
          By coincidence, I have on my desk for second perusal a copy of Clark
          and Timmons JRR Tolkien and his Literary Resonances. One good thing
          about it is Tom Shippey's article "Orcs, Wraiths and Wights: Tolkien's
          Images of evil". Also to be noted is Verlyn Flieger's "Taking the Part
          of Trees: Eco-Conflict in Middle-earth." (No, I am not reviewing it. I,
          too, am waiting for a full review in Mythlore.)

          --
          Grace E. Funk R.R. #1, Lumby, B.C. V0E 2G0 Phone (250)547-6333