For the Linguists Among Us

  • Edith Crowe
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 23, 2001
      Something from the _Scout Report_: (reviews web sites)

      Edith

      2. Saganet
      http://saga.library.cornell.edu/

      The National and University Library of Iceland has partnered with
      Cornell
      University to bring Saganet to the Web. This impressive digitization
      project
      will feature 380,000 manuscript pages and 145,000 printed pages of Old
      Icelandic literature and critical works published before 1900. The site
      offers "the full range of Icelandic family sagas" as well as Germanic/
      Nordic mythology, the history of Norwegian kings, and tales of European
      chivalry. Users can search or browse the collection, and there is a
      large
      amount of help documentation for those who need more assistance getting
      used
      to the interface. It is perhaps needless to say that the site is
      available
      in both English and Icelandic, though the texts and cataloging records
      are
      only in Icelandic. We had difficulties using the site with Netscape on
      a Mac
      platform but no problems with Internet Explorer. [TK]
    • Ted Sherman
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 23, 2001
        THis is a GREAT site for those of us who study Old Norse and the sagas and
        eddas! I've had it bookmarked for a few days and have browsed some of the
        mss.

        Ted
        Dr. Theodore J. Sherman, Editor
        Mythopoeic Literature