Re: [mythsoc] LOTR covers (was Beach Boys)

  • Wayne G. Hammond
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
      David Bratman wrote:

      >H has a great treescape with the barrels floating down the river towards
      >Laketown; FR has a pastoral scene of Hobbiton and the Hill; TT has a thick
      >forest (originally intended as the Forest of Neldoreth, I recall, but
      >relabeled Fangorn by Tolkien at one point),

      The TT picture was originally, for "The Silmarillion", _Beleg Finds Gwindor
      in Taur-nu-Fuin_. Tolkien retitled this _Fangorn Forest_ when it appeared
      in the 1974 Allen & Unwin _Tolkien Calendar_ -- hoping, evidently, that the
      elves Beleg and Gwindor would be mistaken for hobbits Merry and Pippin. Of
      course he had earlier made a black and white version of this, without
      figures, as _Mirkwood_ in early printings of _The Hobbit_.

      >and RK has the lower levels of
      >Barad-dur with Mount Doom in the distance. These are all also in _Pictures
      >by J.R.R. Tolkien_, and I think they're also in _Artist & Illustrator_
      >though I don't have time right now to check.

      Yes, they're in _Artist & Illustrator_. Christina and I made sure to
      include all of Tolkien's best work.

      Wayne Hammond
    • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
        Nah, all the pictures of the kids and grandkids are crowded at the front of the shelves. Plus a few unicorns, three shelves in the living room hold video tapes in drawers, some extra books (yep, double stacked)... And on top of the bookcases, my Star Wars and Babylon 5 12" collectable dolls (still in their cases to protect them)! And more books...

        Mythically yours,

        Lisa