Re: [mythsoc] LOTR covers (was Beach Boys)

  • Matthew Winslow
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
      David S. Bratman [dbratman@...] wrote:
      > On
      > each book, the author and title are on white in the upper panel, with the
      > art below.

      Later on (mid-80s, I believe), they were packaged slightly diff'tly. The set I
      have with the artwork is a boxed set. Each volume has a diff't background
      color: FOTR is a light blue, TT is a green, and ROTK is a light red. I believe
      H was a yellow, but my copy from the set wandered, so I have that ugly Darrel
      Sweet (sp?) cover now. Each cover is as David described, except the Tolkien
      art does not span the width of the cover: it is instead 'framed' by about a
      quarter inch all around of the background color.

      BTW, who is the little character on TT supposed to be? Anyone in particular?

      "There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading
      them."
      --Joseph Brodsky
      Currently reading: The Road to Middle-Earth by T.A. Shippey
    • Wayne G. Hammond
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
        David Bratman wrote:

        >H has a great treescape with the barrels floating down the river towards
        >Laketown; FR has a pastoral scene of Hobbiton and the Hill; TT has a thick
        >forest (originally intended as the Forest of Neldoreth, I recall, but
        >relabeled Fangorn by Tolkien at one point),

        The TT picture was originally, for "The Silmarillion", _Beleg Finds Gwindor
        in Taur-nu-Fuin_. Tolkien retitled this _Fangorn Forest_ when it appeared
        in the 1974 Allen & Unwin _Tolkien Calendar_ -- hoping, evidently, that the
        elves Beleg and Gwindor would be mistaken for hobbits Merry and Pippin. Of
        course he had earlier made a black and white version of this, without
        figures, as _Mirkwood_ in early printings of _The Hobbit_.

        >and RK has the lower levels of
        >Barad-dur with Mount Doom in the distance. These are all also in _Pictures
        >by J.R.R. Tolkien_, and I think they're also in _Artist & Illustrator_
        >though I don't have time right now to check.

        Yes, they're in _Artist & Illustrator_. Christina and I made sure to
        include all of Tolkien's best work.

        Wayne Hammond
      • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
          Nah, all the pictures of the kids and grandkids are crowded at the front of the shelves. Plus a few unicorns, three shelves in the living room hold video tapes in drawers, some extra books (yep, double stacked)... And on top of the bookcases, my Star Wars and Babylon 5 12" collectable dolls (still in their cases to protect them)! And more books...

          Mythically yours,

          Lisa