Re: [mythsoc] I Knew I liked the Beach Boys

  • Trudy Shaw
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
      From: Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, October 01, 2001 11:48 PM
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] I Knew I liked the Beach Boys <g>

      My husband actually has the Ace
      editions. Talk about an old set of LotR.

      I've got those, too--but I didn't buy them!! Honest!! I'm innocent!! My older sister left them lying around the house (a silly thing to do with books when I'm also in the house--but, then, my sister suffers from the same affliction). I'm glad she also left the "garish cover" ones behind when she went back to college--the print in the Ace books (at least the ones I have) is _horrible_ to read. I've had both sets ever since.

      Actually, I think my sister abandoned them on purpose. They were "the thing" to read at that time, but she's rather condescending toward any kind of fantasy now, so I figure I gave them a good, appreciative home. And I certainly owe her a great debt of gratitude for my introduction to Tolkien, however unintended.

      --Trudy

      P.S. Sometimes you can hang things over the _front_ of bookshelves, _if_ you have a few shelves of books you don't need to access often.

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

    • David S. Bratman
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
        The LOTR paperbacks (Ballantine) with Tolkien's artwork on the cover
        succeeded the original garish Barbara Remington ones. They were the
        standard printings for much of the 1970s, and are easily recognizable, even
        if you don't know Tolkien's art, for looking utterly unlike what usually
        passes for genre fantasy paperback cover art these days. For one thing,
        they're anything but garish, but are muted scenes in browns and
        greens. And except for a couple tiny figures on H and TT, they are purely
        landscapes with no people (Tolkien didn't think he could draw people). On
        each book, the author and title are on white in the upper panel, with the
        art below.

        H has a great treescape with the barrels floating down the river towards
        Laketown; FR has a pastoral scene of Hobbiton and the Hill; TT has a thick
        forest (originally intended as the Forest of Neldoreth, I recall, but
        relabeled Fangorn by Tolkien at one point), and RK has the lower levels of
        Barad-dur with Mount Doom in the distance. These are all also in _Pictures
        by J.R.R. Tolkien_, and I think they're also in _Artist & Illustrator_
        though I don't have time right now to check.

        David Bratman
      • Matthew Winslow
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
          David S. Bratman [dbratman@...] wrote:
          > On
          > each book, the author and title are on white in the upper panel, with the
          > art below.

          Later on (mid-80s, I believe), they were packaged slightly diff'tly. The set I
          have with the artwork is a boxed set. Each volume has a diff't background
          color: FOTR is a light blue, TT is a green, and ROTK is a light red. I believe
          H was a yellow, but my copy from the set wandered, so I have that ugly Darrel
          Sweet (sp?) cover now. Each cover is as David described, except the Tolkien
          art does not span the width of the cover: it is instead 'framed' by about a
          quarter inch all around of the background color.

          BTW, who is the little character on TT supposed to be? Anyone in particular?

          "There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading
          them."
          --Joseph Brodsky
          Currently reading: The Road to Middle-Earth by T.A. Shippey
        • Wayne G. Hammond
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
            David Bratman wrote:

            >H has a great treescape with the barrels floating down the river towards
            >Laketown; FR has a pastoral scene of Hobbiton and the Hill; TT has a thick
            >forest (originally intended as the Forest of Neldoreth, I recall, but
            >relabeled Fangorn by Tolkien at one point),

            The TT picture was originally, for "The Silmarillion", _Beleg Finds Gwindor
            in Taur-nu-Fuin_. Tolkien retitled this _Fangorn Forest_ when it appeared
            in the 1974 Allen & Unwin _Tolkien Calendar_ -- hoping, evidently, that the
            elves Beleg and Gwindor would be mistaken for hobbits Merry and Pippin. Of
            course he had earlier made a black and white version of this, without
            figures, as _Mirkwood_ in early printings of _The Hobbit_.

            >and RK has the lower levels of
            >Barad-dur with Mount Doom in the distance. These are all also in _Pictures
            >by J.R.R. Tolkien_, and I think they're also in _Artist & Illustrator_
            >though I don't have time right now to check.

            Yes, they're in _Artist & Illustrator_. Christina and I made sure to
            include all of Tolkien's best work.

            Wayne Hammond
          • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
              Nah, all the pictures of the kids and grandkids are crowded at the front of the shelves. Plus a few unicorns, three shelves in the living room hold video tapes in drawers, some extra books (yep, double stacked)... And on top of the bookcases, my Star Wars and Babylon 5 12" collectable dolls (still in their cases to protect them)! And more books...

              Mythically yours,

              Lisa