Re: [mythsoc] I Knew I liked the Beach Boys

  • Trudy Shaw
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
      From: ERATRIANO@...
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, October 01, 2001 8:52 AM
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] I Knew I liked the Beach Boys <g>

      In a message dated 10/01/01 9:09:27 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
      tgshaw@... writes:

      <<
      The two sets I officially "retired" before they got _completely_ destroyed
      are those bizarre ones and the set with Tolkien's own artwork on them. Only
      trouble is, I have so many notes written in the originals that I sometimes
      find myself carefully turning those crumbling pages anyway. >>

      Oooooh Tolkien's own artwork. Now those I've never seen. One more thing for
      my mental shopping list. Oy, I mean, thanks! LOL Are they ppbk or
      hardcover?

      Lizzie

      They're ppbk. Do you remember the ones with pictures of characters on the front (a fat Bilbo, a romance-book-cover Aragorn wearing the crown--no I didn't buy those)? The set with Tolkien's artwork was printed right before those. It's been brought to my mind lately because FotR has a picture of the Hill which is as identical as I can imagine to the photo of it I've seen for the movies. The Hobbit has the "Barrels out of Bounds" picture.

      --Trudy

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

    • Trudy Shaw
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
          The LOTR paperbacks (Ballantine) with Tolkien's artwork on the cover
          succeeded the original garish Barbara Remington ones. They were the
          standard printings for much of the 1970s, and are easily recognizable, even
          if you don't know Tolkien's art, for looking utterly unlike what usually
          passes for genre fantasy paperback cover art these days. For one thing,
          they're anything but garish, but are muted scenes in browns and
          greens. And except for a couple tiny figures on H and TT, they are purely
          landscapes with no people (Tolkien didn't think he could draw people). On
          each book, the author and title are on white in the upper panel, with the
          art below.

          H has a great treescape with the barrels floating down the river towards
          Laketown; FR has a pastoral scene of Hobbiton and the Hill; TT has a thick
          forest (originally intended as the Forest of Neldoreth, I recall, but
          relabeled Fangorn by Tolkien at one point), and RK has the lower levels of
          Barad-dur with Mount Doom in the distance. These are all also in _Pictures
          by J.R.R. Tolkien_, and I think they're also in _Artist & Illustrator_
          though I don't have time right now to check.

          David Bratman
        • Matthew Winslow
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
            David S. Bratman [dbratman@...] wrote:
            > On
            > each book, the author and title are on white in the upper panel, with the
            > art below.

            Later on (mid-80s, I believe), they were packaged slightly diff'tly. The set I
            have with the artwork is a boxed set. Each volume has a diff't background
            color: FOTR is a light blue, TT is a green, and ROTK is a light red. I believe
            H was a yellow, but my copy from the set wandered, so I have that ugly Darrel
            Sweet (sp?) cover now. Each cover is as David described, except the Tolkien
            art does not span the width of the cover: it is instead 'framed' by about a
            quarter inch all around of the background color.

            BTW, who is the little character on TT supposed to be? Anyone in particular?

            "There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading
            them."
            --Joseph Brodsky
            Currently reading: The Road to Middle-Earth by T.A. Shippey
          • Wayne G. Hammond
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
              David Bratman wrote:

              >H has a great treescape with the barrels floating down the river towards
              >Laketown; FR has a pastoral scene of Hobbiton and the Hill; TT has a thick
              >forest (originally intended as the Forest of Neldoreth, I recall, but
              >relabeled Fangorn by Tolkien at one point),

              The TT picture was originally, for "The Silmarillion", _Beleg Finds Gwindor
              in Taur-nu-Fuin_. Tolkien retitled this _Fangorn Forest_ when it appeared
              in the 1974 Allen & Unwin _Tolkien Calendar_ -- hoping, evidently, that the
              elves Beleg and Gwindor would be mistaken for hobbits Merry and Pippin. Of
              course he had earlier made a black and white version of this, without
              figures, as _Mirkwood_ in early printings of _The Hobbit_.

              >and RK has the lower levels of
              >Barad-dur with Mount Doom in the distance. These are all also in _Pictures
              >by J.R.R. Tolkien_, and I think they're also in _Artist & Illustrator_
              >though I don't have time right now to check.

              Yes, they're in _Artist & Illustrator_. Christina and I made sure to
              include all of Tolkien's best work.

              Wayne Hammond
            • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
                Nah, all the pictures of the kids and grandkids are crowded at the front of the shelves. Plus a few unicorns, three shelves in the living room hold video tapes in drawers, some extra books (yep, double stacked)... And on top of the bookcases, my Star Wars and Babylon 5 12" collectable dolls (still in their cases to protect them)! And more books...

                Mythically yours,

                Lisa