Re: [mythsoc] I Knew I liked the Beach Boys

  • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 1, 2001
      I Have the Poster! At least it is squirreled away someplace in the basement,
      which means it might be dead by now. But it is a wonderful poster, but too big
      to hang anywhere in the house, which is wall to wall to wall bookcases. *sigh*

      I also have the books in their box (which is the same combined artwork as the
      poster) in a box also down in the basement. My husband actually has the Ace
      editions. Talk about an old set of LotR.

      Steal not this book for fear of shame,
      For Lisa Deutsch is not your name.
      And if you do, the Lord will say
      "Where is the book you stole that day?"
      And if you say "I do not know"
      The Lord will say "Please step below..."

      It's inscribed on the front of each of my books. <g> Needless to say, I didn't
      want those well loved books to disappear!

      Mythically yours,

      Lisa

      ERATRIANO@... wrote:

      > In a message dated 10/01/01 12:34:30 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
      > lisa@... writes:
      >
      > << A tattered (as in well loved) copy of a garish
      > colored paperback, those of us with memories that old also have
      > stored away in our book collections. >>
      >
      > Hey I Liked those covers. LOL. A friend of mine even found a Huge wall
      > poster of the three of them combined. Really wierd. But what a treasure.
    • Trudy Shaw
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
            The LOTR paperbacks (Ballantine) with Tolkien's artwork on the cover
            succeeded the original garish Barbara Remington ones. They were the
            standard printings for much of the 1970s, and are easily recognizable, even
            if you don't know Tolkien's art, for looking utterly unlike what usually
            passes for genre fantasy paperback cover art these days. For one thing,
            they're anything but garish, but are muted scenes in browns and
            greens. And except for a couple tiny figures on H and TT, they are purely
            landscapes with no people (Tolkien didn't think he could draw people). On
            each book, the author and title are on white in the upper panel, with the
            art below.

            H has a great treescape with the barrels floating down the river towards
            Laketown; FR has a pastoral scene of Hobbiton and the Hill; TT has a thick
            forest (originally intended as the Forest of Neldoreth, I recall, but
            relabeled Fangorn by Tolkien at one point), and RK has the lower levels of
            Barad-dur with Mount Doom in the distance. These are all also in _Pictures
            by J.R.R. Tolkien_, and I think they're also in _Artist & Illustrator_
            though I don't have time right now to check.

            David Bratman
          • Matthew Winslow
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
              David S. Bratman [dbratman@...] wrote:
              > On
              > each book, the author and title are on white in the upper panel, with the
              > art below.

              Later on (mid-80s, I believe), they were packaged slightly diff'tly. The set I
              have with the artwork is a boxed set. Each volume has a diff't background
              color: FOTR is a light blue, TT is a green, and ROTK is a light red. I believe
              H was a yellow, but my copy from the set wandered, so I have that ugly Darrel
              Sweet (sp?) cover now. Each cover is as David described, except the Tolkien
              art does not span the width of the cover: it is instead 'framed' by about a
              quarter inch all around of the background color.

              BTW, who is the little character on TT supposed to be? Anyone in particular?

              "There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading
              them."
              --Joseph Brodsky
              Currently reading: The Road to Middle-Earth by T.A. Shippey
            • Wayne G. Hammond
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
                David Bratman wrote:

                >H has a great treescape with the barrels floating down the river towards
                >Laketown; FR has a pastoral scene of Hobbiton and the Hill; TT has a thick
                >forest (originally intended as the Forest of Neldoreth, I recall, but
                >relabeled Fangorn by Tolkien at one point),

                The TT picture was originally, for "The Silmarillion", _Beleg Finds Gwindor
                in Taur-nu-Fuin_. Tolkien retitled this _Fangorn Forest_ when it appeared
                in the 1974 Allen & Unwin _Tolkien Calendar_ -- hoping, evidently, that the
                elves Beleg and Gwindor would be mistaken for hobbits Merry and Pippin. Of
                course he had earlier made a black and white version of this, without
                figures, as _Mirkwood_ in early printings of _The Hobbit_.

                >and RK has the lower levels of
                >Barad-dur with Mount Doom in the distance. These are all also in _Pictures
                >by J.R.R. Tolkien_, and I think they're also in _Artist & Illustrator_
                >though I don't have time right now to check.

                Yes, they're in _Artist & Illustrator_. Christina and I made sure to
                include all of Tolkien's best work.

                Wayne Hammond
              • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
                  Nah, all the pictures of the kids and grandkids are crowded at the front of the shelves. Plus a few unicorns, three shelves in the living room hold video tapes in drawers, some extra books (yep, double stacked)... And on top of the bookcases, my Star Wars and Babylon 5 12" collectable dolls (still in their cases to protect them)! And more books...

                  Mythically yours,

                  Lisa