Re: Re: [mythsoc] Harold Bloom: Fwd from David Lenander

  • alexeik@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2001
      In a message dated 9/28/1 7:52:56 PM, David Lenander wrote:

      <<Bloom … actually wrote a SF novel of his
      own, which I have somewhere, but which I never finished. I think he
      probably liked David Lindsey's _A Voyage to Arcturus_, which is the book
      that I seem to recall noticing must have influenced the writing of the Bloom
      novel. I don't think that Bloom's novel is very good, actually. >>

      It's been a long time since I read it, so I don't remember details very well,
      but at the time I recall thinking that Bloom's novel (which was called
      something like _The Flight From Lucifer_, I think?) was a *plagiarisation* of
      _A Voyage to Arcturus_, since it incorporated a lot of Lindsay's plot
      elements and even some of his names without once acknowledging his debt to
      Lindsay. I suspect he thought Lindsay's book was so obscure nobody would
      notice.
      I agree that it wasn't a very good book, and very inferior to its model
      (which, although it often attracts disparaging comments, I find to be a
      numinous, powerfully inspired book, and a marginal but undisputable fantasy
      classic).
      Alexei
    • David S. Bratman
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2001
        _The Flight to Lucifer: A Gnostic Fantasy_ (Farrar Straus & Giroux, 1979)

        At 09:11 AM 10/1/2001 , Alexei wrote:

        >It's been a long time since I read it, so I don't remember details very well,
        >but at the time I recall thinking that Bloom's novel (which was called
        >something like _The Flight From Lucifer_, I think?) was a *plagiarisation* of
        >_A Voyage to Arcturus_, since it incorporated a lot of Lindsay's plot
        >elements and even some of his names without once acknowledging his debt to
        >Lindsay. I suspect he thought Lindsay's book was so obscure nobody would
        >notice.
      • Janet Croft
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 1, 2001
          The Flight to Lucifer: A Gnostic Fantasy. Amazon reviews:
          http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0374526303/qid=1001953581/sr=1-3/ref=
          sr_1_0_3/104-6457102-1488700. Sounds pretty bad.....

          Janet
[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor