Re: [mythsoc] I Knew I liked the Beach Boys

  • Trudy Shaw
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 1, 2001
      From: ERATRIANO@...
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, October 01, 2001 7:26 AM
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] I Knew I liked the Beach Boys <g>

      LoTR is a work that stands alone, and I'd
      rather a strange and bizarre cover, hinting of things we've never seen
      before, than a boring one.

      Lizzie

      The two sets I officially "retired" before they got _completely_ destroyed are those bizarre ones and the set with Tolkien's own artwork on them. Only trouble is, I have so many notes written in the originals that I sometimes find myself carefully turning those crumbling pages anyway.

      --Trudy

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

    • Matthew Winslow
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 1, 2001
        ERATRIANO@... [ERATRIANO@...] wrote:
        > Oooooh Tolkien's own artwork. Now those I've never seen. One more thing for
        > my mental shopping list. Oy, I mean, thanks! LOL Are they ppbk or
        > hardcover?

        Paperback. However, the one for Return of the King is that boring castle you
        said you didn't like <g>.

        "Now is the winter of our discount tent."
        --Red Green
        Currently reading: The Road to Middle-Earth by T.A. Shippey
      • ERATRIANO@aol.com

          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 1, 2001
            In a message dated 10/01/01 9:56:39 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
            mwinslow@... writes:

            <<
            Paperback. However, the one for Return of the King is that boring castle you
            said you didn't like <g>. >>

            Oh. Well then one thing I don't have to worry aobut then. Funny, so often I
            do like his artwork... the watercolors and the landscapes.

            Lizzie
          • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 1, 2001
              I Have the Poster! At least it is squirreled away someplace in the basement,
              which means it might be dead by now. But it is a wonderful poster, but too big
              to hang anywhere in the house, which is wall to wall to wall bookcases. *sigh*

              I also have the books in their box (which is the same combined artwork as the
              poster) in a box also down in the basement. My husband actually has the Ace
              editions. Talk about an old set of LotR.

              Steal not this book for fear of shame,
              For Lisa Deutsch is not your name.
              And if you do, the Lord will say
              "Where is the book you stole that day?"
              And if you say "I do not know"
              The Lord will say "Please step below..."

              It's inscribed on the front of each of my books. <g> Needless to say, I didn't
              want those well loved books to disappear!

              Mythically yours,

              Lisa

              ERATRIANO@... wrote:

              > In a message dated 10/01/01 12:34:30 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
              > lisa@... writes:
              >
              > << A tattered (as in well loved) copy of a garish
              > colored paperback, those of us with memories that old also have
              > stored away in our book collections. >>
              >
              > Hey I Liked those covers. LOL. A friend of mine even found a Huge wall
              > poster of the three of them combined. Really wierd. But what a treasure.
            • Trudy Shaw
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
                In a message dated 10/01/01 9:09:27 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                tgshaw@... writes:

                <<
                The two sets I officially "retired" before they got _completely_ destroyed
                are those bizarre ones and the set with Tolkien's own artwork on them. Only
                trouble is, I have so many notes written in the originals that I sometimes
                find myself carefully turning those crumbling pages anyway. >>

                Oooooh Tolkien's own artwork. Now those I've never seen. One more thing for
                my mental shopping list. Oy, I mean, thanks! LOL Are they ppbk or
                hardcover?

                Lizzie

                They're ppbk. Do you remember the ones with pictures of characters on the front (a fat Bilbo, a romance-book-cover Aragorn wearing the crown--no I didn't buy those)? The set with Tolkien's artwork was printed right before those. It's been brought to my mind lately because FotR has a picture of the Hill which is as identical as I can imagine to the photo of it I've seen for the movies. The Hobbit has the "Barrels out of Bounds" picture.

                --Trudy

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • Trudy Shaw
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
                    The LOTR paperbacks (Ballantine) with Tolkien's artwork on the cover
                    succeeded the original garish Barbara Remington ones. They were the
                    standard printings for much of the 1970s, and are easily recognizable, even
                    if you don't know Tolkien's art, for looking utterly unlike what usually
                    passes for genre fantasy paperback cover art these days. For one thing,
                    they're anything but garish, but are muted scenes in browns and
                    greens. And except for a couple tiny figures on H and TT, they are purely
                    landscapes with no people (Tolkien didn't think he could draw people). On
                    each book, the author and title are on white in the upper panel, with the
                    art below.

                    H has a great treescape with the barrels floating down the river towards
                    Laketown; FR has a pastoral scene of Hobbiton and the Hill; TT has a thick
                    forest (originally intended as the Forest of Neldoreth, I recall, but
                    relabeled Fangorn by Tolkien at one point), and RK has the lower levels of
                    Barad-dur with Mount Doom in the distance. These are all also in _Pictures
                    by J.R.R. Tolkien_, and I think they're also in _Artist & Illustrator_
                    though I don't have time right now to check.

                    David Bratman
                  • Matthew Winslow
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
                      David S. Bratman [dbratman@...] wrote:
                      > On
                      > each book, the author and title are on white in the upper panel, with the
                      > art below.

                      Later on (mid-80s, I believe), they were packaged slightly diff'tly. The set I
                      have with the artwork is a boxed set. Each volume has a diff't background
                      color: FOTR is a light blue, TT is a green, and ROTK is a light red. I believe
                      H was a yellow, but my copy from the set wandered, so I have that ugly Darrel
                      Sweet (sp?) cover now. Each cover is as David described, except the Tolkien
                      art does not span the width of the cover: it is instead 'framed' by about a
                      quarter inch all around of the background color.

                      BTW, who is the little character on TT supposed to be? Anyone in particular?

                      "There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading
                      them."
                      --Joseph Brodsky
                      Currently reading: The Road to Middle-Earth by T.A. Shippey
                    • Wayne G. Hammond
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
                        David Bratman wrote:

                        >H has a great treescape with the barrels floating down the river towards
                        >Laketown; FR has a pastoral scene of Hobbiton and the Hill; TT has a thick
                        >forest (originally intended as the Forest of Neldoreth, I recall, but
                        >relabeled Fangorn by Tolkien at one point),

                        The TT picture was originally, for "The Silmarillion", _Beleg Finds Gwindor
                        in Taur-nu-Fuin_. Tolkien retitled this _Fangorn Forest_ when it appeared
                        in the 1974 Allen & Unwin _Tolkien Calendar_ -- hoping, evidently, that the
                        elves Beleg and Gwindor would be mistaken for hobbits Merry and Pippin. Of
                        course he had earlier made a black and white version of this, without
                        figures, as _Mirkwood_ in early printings of _The Hobbit_.

                        >and RK has the lower levels of
                        >Barad-dur with Mount Doom in the distance. These are all also in _Pictures
                        >by J.R.R. Tolkien_, and I think they're also in _Artist & Illustrator_
                        >though I don't have time right now to check.

                        Yes, they're in _Artist & Illustrator_. Christina and I made sure to
                        include all of Tolkien's best work.

                        Wayne Hammond
                      • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
                          Nah, all the pictures of the kids and grandkids are crowded at the front of the shelves. Plus a few unicorns, three shelves in the living room hold video tapes in drawers, some extra books (yep, double stacked)... And on top of the bookcases, my Star Wars and Babylon 5 12" collectable dolls (still in their cases to protect them)! And more books...

                          Mythically yours,

                          Lisa