Accents of the Dwarves

  • d.bratman@xxxxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 19, 1999
      Wendell Wagner implies that the urban Birmingham dialect is not the same
      thing as the "Midlands country" dialect that Tolkien had in mind for the
      hobbits, and I suspect he is correct.

      Certainly the London Cockney dialect is not the same as a southeastern
      country dialect, and the same may well be true here.

      More inquiry is needed on this is needed, and if I have time I'll check
      in the university library where I work.

      PS: Manchester is in Lancashire, which is northern England and not
      Midlands at all.

      David Bratman