Re: [mythsoc] I Knew I liked the Beach Boys

  • ERATRIANO@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 1, 2001
      In a message dated 10/01/01 12:34:30 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
      lisa@... writes:

      << A tattered (as in well loved) copy of a garish
      colored paperback, those of us with memories that old also have
      stored away in our book collections. >>

      Hey I Liked those covers. LOL. A friend of mine even found a Huge wall
      poster of the three of them combined. Really wierd. But what a treasure.

      I think the ones a while ago, with the castle wall or whatever on one of
      them, were excruciatingly boring. LoTR is a work that stands alone, and I'd
      rather a strange and bizarre cover, hinting of things we've never seen
      before, than a boring one.

      Lizzie
    • Trudy Shaw
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 1, 2001
        LoTR is a work that stands alone, and I'd
        rather a strange and bizarre cover, hinting of things we've never seen
        before, than a boring one.

        Lizzie

        The two sets I officially "retired" before they got _completely_ destroyed are those bizarre ones and the set with Tolkien's own artwork on them. Only trouble is, I have so many notes written in the originals that I sometimes find myself carefully turning those crumbling pages anyway.

        --Trudy

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Matthew Winslow
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 1, 2001
          ERATRIANO@... [ERATRIANO@...] wrote:
          > Oooooh Tolkien's own artwork. Now those I've never seen. One more thing for
          > my mental shopping list. Oy, I mean, thanks! LOL Are they ppbk or
          > hardcover?

          Paperback. However, the one for Return of the King is that boring castle you
          said you didn't like <g>.

          "Now is the winter of our discount tent."
          --Red Green
          Currently reading: The Road to Middle-Earth by T.A. Shippey
        • ERATRIANO@aol.com

            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 1, 2001
              In a message dated 10/01/01 9:56:39 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
              mwinslow@... writes:

              <<
              Paperback. However, the one for Return of the King is that boring castle you
              said you didn't like <g>. >>

              Oh. Well then one thing I don't have to worry aobut then. Funny, so often I
              do like his artwork... the watercolors and the landscapes.

              Lizzie
            • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 1, 2001
                I Have the Poster! At least it is squirreled away someplace in the basement,
                which means it might be dead by now. But it is a wonderful poster, but too big
                to hang anywhere in the house, which is wall to wall to wall bookcases. *sigh*

                I also have the books in their box (which is the same combined artwork as the
                poster) in a box also down in the basement. My husband actually has the Ace
                editions. Talk about an old set of LotR.

                Steal not this book for fear of shame,
                For Lisa Deutsch is not your name.
                And if you do, the Lord will say
                "Where is the book you stole that day?"
                And if you say "I do not know"
                The Lord will say "Please step below..."

                It's inscribed on the front of each of my books. <g> Needless to say, I didn't
                want those well loved books to disappear!

                Mythically yours,

                Lisa

                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
                  In a message dated 10/01/01 9:09:27 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                  tgshaw@... writes:

                  <<
                  The two sets I officially "retired" before they got _completely_ destroyed
                  are those bizarre ones and the set with Tolkien's own artwork on them. Only
                  trouble is, I have so many notes written in the originals that I sometimes
                  find myself carefully turning those crumbling pages anyway. >>

                  Oooooh Tolkien's own artwork. Now those I've never seen. One more thing for
                  my mental shopping list. Oy, I mean, thanks! LOL Are they ppbk or
                  hardcover?

                  Lizzie

                  They're ppbk. Do you remember the ones with pictures of characters on the front (a fat Bilbo, a romance-book-cover Aragorn wearing the crown--no I didn't buy those)? The set with Tolkien's artwork was printed right before those. It's been brought to my mind lately because FotR has a picture of the Hill which is as identical as I can imagine to the photo of it I've seen for the movies. The Hobbit has the "Barrels out of Bounds" picture.

                  --Trudy

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                • Trudy Shaw
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
                      The LOTR paperbacks (Ballantine) with Tolkien's artwork on the cover
                      succeeded the original garish Barbara Remington ones. They were the
                      standard printings for much of the 1970s, and are easily recognizable, even
                      if you don't know Tolkien's art, for looking utterly unlike what usually
                      passes for genre fantasy paperback cover art these days. For one thing,
                      they're anything but garish, but are muted scenes in browns and
                      greens. And except for a couple tiny figures on H and TT, they are purely
                      landscapes with no people (Tolkien didn't think he could draw people). On
                      each book, the author and title are on white in the upper panel, with the
                      art below.

                      H has a great treescape with the barrels floating down the river towards
                      Laketown; FR has a pastoral scene of Hobbiton and the Hill; TT has a thick
                      forest (originally intended as the Forest of Neldoreth, I recall, but
                      relabeled Fangorn by Tolkien at one point), and RK has the lower levels of
                      Barad-dur with Mount Doom in the distance. These are all also in _Pictures
                      by J.R.R. Tolkien_, and I think they're also in _Artist & Illustrator_
                      though I don't have time right now to check.

                      David Bratman
                    • Matthew Winslow
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
                        David S. Bratman [dbratman@...] wrote:
                        > On
                        > each book, the author and title are on white in the upper panel, with the
                        > art below.

                        Later on (mid-80s, I believe), they were packaged slightly diff'tly. The set I
                        have with the artwork is a boxed set. Each volume has a diff't background
                        color: FOTR is a light blue, TT is a green, and ROTK is a light red. I believe
                        H was a yellow, but my copy from the set wandered, so I have that ugly Darrel
                        Sweet (sp?) cover now. Each cover is as David described, except the Tolkien
                        art does not span the width of the cover: it is instead 'framed' by about a
                        quarter inch all around of the background color.

                        BTW, who is the little character on TT supposed to be? Anyone in particular?

                        "There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading
                        them."
                        --Joseph Brodsky
                        Currently reading: The Road to Middle-Earth by T.A. Shippey
                      • Wayne G. Hammond
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
                          David Bratman wrote:

                          >H has a great treescape with the barrels floating down the river towards
                          >Laketown; FR has a pastoral scene of Hobbiton and the Hill; TT has a thick
                          >forest (originally intended as the Forest of Neldoreth, I recall, but
                          >relabeled Fangorn by Tolkien at one point),

                          The TT picture was originally, for "The Silmarillion", _Beleg Finds Gwindor
                          in Taur-nu-Fuin_. Tolkien retitled this _Fangorn Forest_ when it appeared
                          in the 1974 Allen & Unwin _Tolkien Calendar_ -- hoping, evidently, that the
                          elves Beleg and Gwindor would be mistaken for hobbits Merry and Pippin. Of
                          course he had earlier made a black and white version of this, without
                          figures, as _Mirkwood_ in early printings of _The Hobbit_.

                          >and RK has the lower levels of
                          >Barad-dur with Mount Doom in the distance. These are all also in _Pictures
                          >by J.R.R. Tolkien_, and I think they're also in _Artist & Illustrator_
                          >though I don't have time right now to check.

                          Yes, they're in _Artist & Illustrator_. Christina and I made sure to
                          include all of Tolkien's best work.

                          Wayne Hammond
                        • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
                            Nah, all the pictures of the kids and grandkids are crowded at the front of the shelves. Plus a few unicorns, three shelves in the living room hold video tapes in drawers, some extra books (yep, double stacked)... And on top of the bookcases, my Star Wars and Babylon 5 12" collectable dolls (still in their cases to protect them)! And more books...

                            Mythically yours,

                            Lisa