I Knew I liked the Beach Boys

  • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 30 9:32 PM
      OK, I was watching a special on the Beach Boys because I really
      do like their music. It's fun stuff. But as I'm watching them
      taking time off on a touring bus in the late 60's, what is one of
      them reading? A tattered (as in well loved) copy of a garish
      colored paperback, those of us with memories that old also have
      stored away in our book collections. Yep, Return of the King. And
      it was plain as day. He wasn't hiding it or nothing. Nose was
      buried in it in fact. I could easily read the book cover, but
      couldn't identify the Beach Boy <g>.

      I don't know if the books were getting passed around the group or
      just the one member liked them. It was popular to read Tolkien at
      the time, but for a rock musician to make it real obvious this
      was what he liked to read says something about the brains in that
      group. Not that anyone had any doubt considering the music that
      comes out of them.

      Well, I like their music at any rate.

      Mythically yours,

      Lisa
    • ERATRIANO@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 1, 2001
        In a message dated 10/01/01 12:34:30 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
        lisa@... writes:

        << A tattered (as in well loved) copy of a garish
        colored paperback, those of us with memories that old also have
        stored away in our book collections. >>

        Hey I Liked those covers. LOL. A friend of mine even found a Huge wall
        poster of the three of them combined. Really wierd. But what a treasure.

        I think the ones a while ago, with the castle wall or whatever on one of
        them, were excruciatingly boring. LoTR is a work that stands alone, and I'd
        rather a strange and bizarre cover, hinting of things we've never seen
        before, than a boring one.

        Lizzie
      • Trudy Shaw
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 1, 2001
          LoTR is a work that stands alone, and I'd
          rather a strange and bizarre cover, hinting of things we've never seen
          before, than a boring one.

          Lizzie

          The two sets I officially "retired" before they got _completely_ destroyed are those bizarre ones and the set with Tolkien's own artwork on them. Only trouble is, I have so many notes written in the originals that I sometimes find myself carefully turning those crumbling pages anyway.

          --Trudy

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Matthew Winslow
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 1, 2001
            ERATRIANO@... [ERATRIANO@...] wrote:
            > Oooooh Tolkien's own artwork. Now those I've never seen. One more thing for
            > my mental shopping list. Oy, I mean, thanks! LOL Are they ppbk or
            > hardcover?

            Paperback. However, the one for Return of the King is that boring castle you
            said you didn't like <g>.

            "Now is the winter of our discount tent."
            --Red Green
            Currently reading: The Road to Middle-Earth by T.A. Shippey
          • ERATRIANO@aol.com

              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 1, 2001
                In a message dated 10/01/01 9:56:39 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                mwinslow@... writes:

                <<
                Paperback. However, the one for Return of the King is that boring castle you
                said you didn't like <g>. >>

                Oh. Well then one thing I don't have to worry aobut then. Funny, so often I
                do like his artwork... the watercolors and the landscapes.

                Lizzie
              • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 1, 2001
                  I Have the Poster! At least it is squirreled away someplace in the basement,
                  which means it might be dead by now. But it is a wonderful poster, but too big
                  to hang anywhere in the house, which is wall to wall to wall bookcases. *sigh*

                  I also have the books in their box (which is the same combined artwork as the
                  poster) in a box also down in the basement. My husband actually has the Ace
                  editions. Talk about an old set of LotR.

                  Steal not this book for fear of shame,
                  For Lisa Deutsch is not your name.
                  And if you do, the Lord will say
                  "Where is the book you stole that day?"
                  And if you say "I do not know"
                  The Lord will say "Please step below..."

                  It's inscribed on the front of each of my books. <g> Needless to say, I didn't
                  want those well loved books to disappear!

                  Mythically yours,

                  Lisa

                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
                    In a message dated 10/01/01 9:09:27 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                    tgshaw@... writes:

                    <<
                    The two sets I officially "retired" before they got _completely_ destroyed
                    are those bizarre ones and the set with Tolkien's own artwork on them. Only
                    trouble is, I have so many notes written in the originals that I sometimes
                    find myself carefully turning those crumbling pages anyway. >>

                    Oooooh Tolkien's own artwork. Now those I've never seen. One more thing for
                    my mental shopping list. Oy, I mean, thanks! LOL Are they ppbk or
                    hardcover?

                    Lizzie

                    They're ppbk. Do you remember the ones with pictures of characters on the front (a fat Bilbo, a romance-book-cover Aragorn wearing the crown--no I didn't buy those)? The set with Tolkien's artwork was printed right before those. It's been brought to my mind lately because FotR has a picture of the Hill which is as identical as I can imagine to the photo of it I've seen for the movies. The Hobbit has the "Barrels out of Bounds" picture.

                    --Trudy

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  • Trudy Shaw
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
                        The LOTR paperbacks (Ballantine) with Tolkien's artwork on the cover
                        succeeded the original garish Barbara Remington ones. They were the
                        standard printings for much of the 1970s, and are easily recognizable, even
                        if you don't know Tolkien's art, for looking utterly unlike what usually
                        passes for genre fantasy paperback cover art these days. For one thing,
                        they're anything but garish, but are muted scenes in browns and
                        greens. And except for a couple tiny figures on H and TT, they are purely
                        landscapes with no people (Tolkien didn't think he could draw people). On
                        each book, the author and title are on white in the upper panel, with the
                        art below.

                        H has a great treescape with the barrels floating down the river towards
                        Laketown; FR has a pastoral scene of Hobbiton and the Hill; TT has a thick
                        forest (originally intended as the Forest of Neldoreth, I recall, but
                        relabeled Fangorn by Tolkien at one point), and RK has the lower levels of
                        Barad-dur with Mount Doom in the distance. These are all also in _Pictures
                        by J.R.R. Tolkien_, and I think they're also in _Artist & Illustrator_
                        though I don't have time right now to check.

                        David Bratman
                      • Matthew Winslow
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
                          David S. Bratman [dbratman@...] wrote:
                          > On
                          > each book, the author and title are on white in the upper panel, with the
                          > art below.

                          Later on (mid-80s, I believe), they were packaged slightly diff'tly. The set I
                          have with the artwork is a boxed set. Each volume has a diff't background
                          color: FOTR is a light blue, TT is a green, and ROTK is a light red. I believe
                          H was a yellow, but my copy from the set wandered, so I have that ugly Darrel
                          Sweet (sp?) cover now. Each cover is as David described, except the Tolkien
                          art does not span the width of the cover: it is instead 'framed' by about a
                          quarter inch all around of the background color.

                          BTW, who is the little character on TT supposed to be? Anyone in particular?

                          "There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading
                          them."
                          --Joseph Brodsky
                          Currently reading: The Road to Middle-Earth by T.A. Shippey
                        • Wayne G. Hammond
                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
                            David Bratman wrote:

                            >H has a great treescape with the barrels floating down the river towards
                            >Laketown; FR has a pastoral scene of Hobbiton and the Hill; TT has a thick
                            >forest (originally intended as the Forest of Neldoreth, I recall, but
                            >relabeled Fangorn by Tolkien at one point),

                            The TT picture was originally, for "The Silmarillion", _Beleg Finds Gwindor
                            in Taur-nu-Fuin_. Tolkien retitled this _Fangorn Forest_ when it appeared
                            in the 1974 Allen & Unwin _Tolkien Calendar_ -- hoping, evidently, that the
                            elves Beleg and Gwindor would be mistaken for hobbits Merry and Pippin. Of
                            course he had earlier made a black and white version of this, without
                            figures, as _Mirkwood_ in early printings of _The Hobbit_.

                            >and RK has the lower levels of
                            >Barad-dur with Mount Doom in the distance. These are all also in _Pictures
                            >by J.R.R. Tolkien_, and I think they're also in _Artist & Illustrator_
                            >though I don't have time right now to check.

                            Yes, they're in _Artist & Illustrator_. Christina and I made sure to
                            include all of Tolkien's best work.

                            Wayne Hammond
                          • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
                            Message 13 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
                              Nah, all the pictures of the kids and grandkids are crowded at the front of the shelves. Plus a few unicorns, three shelves in the living room hold video tapes in drawers, some extra books (yep, double stacked)... And on top of the bookcases, my Star Wars and Babylon 5 12" collectable dolls (still in their cases to protect them)! And more books...

                              Mythically yours,

                              Lisa