Kipling

  • ERATRIANO@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 28, 2001
      In a message dated 09/27/01 11:56:34 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Stolzi@...
      writes:

      << I
      wouldn't think PUCK significant enough, but I probably would put KIM on my
      list and maybe JUNGLE BOOK - maybe Bloom does, since Wendell has given us
      only the f/sf entries. >>

      You know I really liked the Jungle Books. All of them. And the poems in
      them. To me narratives with poetry are at about the top of the literary
      pyramid. Why is it, that having collected so many copies of the different
      stories over the years, I have only once seen "In the Rukh"?

      Lizzie
    • Steve Schaper
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 30, 2001
        Which books and poems by Kipling deal with land war in central Asia, especially
        Afghanistan?

        "A generation which ignores history has no past and no future."
        Robert Anson Heinlein

        http://www.users.qwest.net/~sschaper/
        sschaper@...
      • David S. Bratman
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 30, 2001
          This isn't by Kipling, but it may be relevant. It's from _The Princess
          Bride_ by William Goldman, and also appears pretty much verbatim in the film.

          "'Fool!' cried the hunchback. 'You fell victim to one of the classic
          blunders. The most famous is, "Never get involved in a land war in Asia,"
          but only slightly less well known is this: "Never go in against a Silician
          when death is on the line."'"

          (Wow, three levels of quotation: I may be sick.)

          Of course, the next thing that happens is that, much to his own surprise,
          the hunchback topples over dead, so maybe his views on what constitute a
          blunder are not so reliable.

          David Bratman
        • Stolzi@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 30, 2001
            In a message dated 9/30/01 9:17:24 AM Central Daylight Time,
            sschaper@... writes:

            > Which books and poems by Kipling deal with land war in central Asia,
            > especially
            > Afghanistan?

            Steve, go here

            <A
            HREF="http://www.sunday-times.co.uk/news/pages/sti/2001/09/30/stiusausa01004.h

            tml">"How Kipling Created the Afghan Myth"</A>

            http://www.sunday-times.co.uk/news/pages/sti/2001/09/30/stiusausa01004.html