Re: [mythsoc] Harold Bloom

  • ERATRIANO@aol.com
    Message 1 of 32 , Sep 28, 2001
      In a message dated 09/27/01 9:08:38 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
      tgshaw@... writes:

      << I'm still a little giddy about getting to read whatever _I_ think is
      worthwhile! So many books, so little time! >>

      Trudy I agree it is a strange, mixed feeling of both guilt and power when I
      put down a book because I'm partway through it and feel it just isn't a
      worthy use of my time. And that can be either my judgement of its quality,
      or just a question of taste.

      As for Mr. Bloom, my amateur's estimation here is that he comes at these
      things with an astringent sort of mind, in that certain sorts of "romantic"
      or "poetic" flavors devalue a work. I know I'm not exactly clear here but
      I'm doing my best... I did find Malory to be full of romance, and I'm sure
      others of the older works are too... but the list of newer works which WW
      provided smacks to me of a dryer taste. Does anyone want to help me figure
      out what I'm thinking here?

      Lizzie
    • Stolzi@aol.com
      Message 32 of 32 , Sep 30, 2001
        In a message dated 9/30/01 12:11:03 AM Central Daylight Time,
        sheik@... writes:

        > I second Diamond's reference to Homer (whoever he was).

        Homer... Simpson? That warn't me.

        Are you saying that THE ODYSSEY is more renowned than THE ILIAD? Would THE
        ODYSSEY count as the sequel, anyway? I dunno.

        Diamond Proudbrook