Re: Arwen/Aragorn Love Story

  • Michael Martinez
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 28, 2001
      --- In mythsoc@y..., NiffMarie@c... wrote:
      > > Elves didn't go to the Havens earlier for several reasons.
      > > Galadriel, for one, had been a rebel and was refused return
      > > until she passed the test, in her famous scene with Frodo.
      >
      > Where would one read about these earlier happenings? Are Galadriel,
      > and the others who messed up Middle Earth in a different book?

      Tolkien never really told the full story. There are fragments of the
      Elves' history and their reasons for staying in Middle-earth
      scattered throughout various texts, some of which may (for all we
      know) have not yet been published. A wealth of material on
      linguistic resources remains to be published, and often the
      linguistic essays include interesting asides on Elvish history (or
      the histories of other peoples) and/or perspectives.

      I've been trying to answer a lot of these questions for the past
      couple of years at Suite101.Com, where I write a (mostly) weekly
      essay on Tolkien and Middle-earth:

      http://www.suite101.com/welcome.cfm/tolkien

      The essays include a lot of speculation, but I try to provide
      references to sources without seeming too scholarly. Some of the
      more recent essays are still waiting for me to post edits, so there
      are a few typos and goofs which need correction.

      With respect to your specific questions, I recommend the following
      essays (which sometimes ask more questions than they answer):

      "Shhh! It's a secret ring!"
      http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/tolkien/58090

      "Who knew about the Rings of Power at the end of the Third Age? It
      requires some historical detective work to figure out who knew about
      them in the first place, who learned about them later, and who would
      have been around to forget about them."

      "A history of the Last Alliance of Elves and Men"
      3 parts
      http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/tolkien/69542
      http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/tolkien/69544
      http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/tolkien/70973

      I actually wrote this paper several years ago for the journal ARDA at
      the editor's request, but that planned volume was never published, so
      I finally decide to publish it at Suite101. This is therefore a more
      formal work than the other essays.

      "Moving sale: magic rings and other trinkets, half off"
      http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/tolkien/54057

      "The Elves of Middle-earth had many regrets. But were they simply
      being materialistic when they grieved for lost treasures, or was
      there something more?"

      "Gil-galad was an Elven-king"
      http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/tolkien/44954

      "A discussion of Gil-galad's history and genealogy, and the
      importance of The Silmarillion in studying Gil-galad."

      And if you're curious about the Numenorean psyche and why Aragorn's
      people ended up in their mess, you might want to read these essays:

      "Seeking the wayward children of Numenor"
      http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/tolkien/47755

      "How did Arnor and Gondor come to be, and what were the fundamental
      differences between the characters of the two realms? And what was
      the contribution of Numenor to their founding? A discussion of the
      origins of Arnor and Gondor explores the dynamics of Numenorean
      culture and how it laid the foundation for the two realms in exile."

      "Before the Numenoreans came"
      http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/tolkien/48204

      "What was Eriador like in the years between the departure of the
      Numenoreans over Sea and their eventual return? We can extrapolate a
      few ideas based on things J.R.R. Tolkien said concerning the history
      of the Dunedain."

      "Have island, will rebel"
      http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/tolkien/48697

      "Did Numenorean society follow an inevitable path toward division
      because the kings retained, respected, and enlarged autonomous
      traditions? Were the noble families of Numenor able to influence the
      policies of the kings both directly and indirectly? This article
      examines the roots of Numenorean politcal power and the connections
      between that power and the economic forces of the Numenorean
      civilization."

      There are now over 100 articles, so I'm not going to list them all
      here. :)

      A full index is available here:
      http://www.suite101.com/articles.cfm/tolkien

      Hope you find it worth browsing. People don't always agree with my
      arguments and conclusions, but I've gotten pretty good feedback on
      the essays. And you'll at least get an idea of the sorts of things
      to look for as you collect the books and browse them.

      > > Elrond left with the others. Arwen gave up her place, and was
      > > made mortal by the grace of the Valar; and as she says to Aragorn
      > > at the end, There is now no ship that would bear me hence.
      >
      > So she goes to the same place Aragorn went: Heaven?

      That is the implication.
    • NiffMarie@cs.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 28, 2001
        In a message dated 9/28/2001 2:44:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        michael@... writes:

        > Tolkien never really told the full story. There are fragments of the
        > Elves' history and their reasons for staying in Middle-earth
        > scattered throughout various texts, some of which may (for all we
        > know) have not yet been published. A wealth of material on
        > linguistic resources remains to be published, and often the
        > linguistic essays include interesting asides on Elvish history (or
        > the histories of other peoples) and/or perspectives.
        <Clipped many excellent links>

        Thank you so much for all the links! I will save this also for future
        reference and browsing!

        > > So she goes to the same place Aragorn went: Heaven?
        >
        > That is the implication.

        That's very sweet!

        Thanks again!

        --Niff, infj
        NiffMarie@...
        "Anyone who has a library and a garden wants for nothing."
        Cicero