Re: [mythsoc] Harold Bloom

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 32 , Sep 28, 2001
      Speaking of Harold Bloom: he has a new book out that
      landed in my store
      Wednesday: " Stories and Poems for Extremely Intelligent
      Children of All Ages"
      A few quotes from the Amazon.com blurb:
      " If readers are to come to Shakespeare
      and to Chekhov, to Henry James and to Jane
      Austen, then they are best prepared if
      they have read Lewis Carroll and Edward
      Lear, Robert Louis Stevenson and Rudyard
      Kipling," writes Harold Bloom ...
      Here are old favorites by beloved
      writers of children's literature, as well as exciting
      rediscoveries and wonderful works penned
      by writers better known for their adult
      classics, such as Herman Melville, Leo
      Tolstoy, Edith Wharton, and Walt
      Whitman. Encompassing the natural world
      and the supernatural; childhood,
      romance, and death; house pets, wild
      animals, and goblins; mystery, adventure,
      and humor, the selections reflect the
      passion and erudition of our most revered
      literary critic. Dismayed by the current
      state of children's literature, Bloom reaches
      back to the imaginative works of the
      nineteenth century and earlier, choosing
      poems and stories that will expand the
      mind and offer the magical companionship
      of the best that has been written.......
      I'm sorry if this had already been brought up and I
      missed it.

    • Stolzi@aol.com
      Message 32 of 32 , Sep 30, 2001
        In a message dated 9/30/01 12:11:03 AM Central Daylight Time,
        sheik@... writes:

        > I second Diamond's reference to Homer (whoever he was).

        Homer... Simpson? That warn't me.

        Are you saying that THE ODYSSEY is more renowned than THE ILIAD? Would THE
        ODYSSEY count as the sequel, anyway? I dunno.

        Diamond Proudbrook