RE: [mythsoc] Wizard Harry never appeared

  • dianejoy@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 25, 2001
      Hmm. All I got was a blank, with the Telegraph logo. "Wizard Harry" article never appeared. Must be my weird system. ---djb.

      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 25, 2001
        I just clicked on the link again (in the message you sent, Diane) and it
        worked for me.

        For those who had difficulty accessing the article, here 'tis.

        Wizard Harry 'has magic key to the Christian life'
        By Jonathan Petre
        (Filed: 09/09/2001)

        HARRY POTTER, who has been demonised by evangelicals for glamorising the
        occult, is in reality a paragon of Christian virtues, according to a new
        book by a leading Church of England theologian.

        Although the boy wizard may appear to have more to do with broomsticks than
        baptisms, his battle with the evil Lord Voldemort reflects profound themes
        such as redemption and atonement, argues the Rev Dr Francis Bridger.

        The books by J K Rowling, which have sold more than 90 million worldwide,
        have been attacked by Christians in Britain and America as a dangerous
        influence on children.

        Carol Rookwood, the headmistress of St Mary's Church of England primary
        school in Chatham, Kent, banned them from the school library last year. She
        said the Bible taught "that wizards, devils and demons exist and are real
        and dangerous, and God's people are told to have nothing to do with them".

        Canterbury Cathedral turned down the chance of being a location for the film
        Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone because of fears that the story's
        pagan imagery might upset worshippers.

        The Dean of Gloucester, the Very Rev Nicholas Bury, was also criticised by
        some local Christians after the cathedral authorities gave permission to
        Warner Bros to shoot the £85 million film there.

        Dr Bridger, the principal of Trinity College, Bristol and a member of the
        General Synod, argues that such denunciations reflect a misunderstanding of
        the books, which he compares to Christian allegories such as C S Lewis's
        Narnia series.

        In The Spirituality of Harry Potter, to be published in November to coincide
        with the release of the film, he says that the stories should be welcomed as
        a new way to "open the door" to the Gospels.

        "The wizardry and witchcraft of Potterworld is a fictional device, quite
        different in its tone and content from the wizardry and witchcraft that
        stand in conflict with Christianity," says Dr Bridger. Rowling may never
        have expressed any Christian beliefs but, like Lewis, she is an "intensely
        moral writer".

        Dr Bridger adds: "Harry's moral awakening through the series has received
        considerably less attention in the media than his hormonal awakening, but in
        many ways it is more important."

        Moreover, although there is no mention of God, the books are replete with
        theological themes such as self-sacrifice, mercy and the redemptive power of
        love. Even the wizard jail Azkaban could be seen as a reflection of the
        Christian idea of hell.

        St Paul used the stories of Zeus to help to convert people to Christianity,
        and Christians today can regard Harry Potter in the same positive way, he
        says.

        "Far from amounting to a denial of the Gospel, the Potter series - through
        its morality, implicit theology and metaphysics - opens a way to encourage
        children and adults alike to move beyond the literary creation of
        Potterworld to ask questions about truth and reality in a way that would
        have been taboo a generation ago. If this is not opening the door to the
        Gospels, I don't know what is."

        His book is the latest attempt to claim that a figure from popular culture
        reflects Christian virtues. The Simpsons, the dysfunctional cartoon
        characters, are to be rehabilitated as a good Christian family in a book by
        Mark Pinsky, an American journalist, which will be published next month.

        The Rev Richard Thomas, the Oxford diocesan spokesman, said that Oxford
        Cathedral had been used for some of the Potter film.

        He said: "The occult is dangerous, and Harry Potter does give children a
        gentle introduction to that world. But in the Potter books, evil is always
        defeated by the personal sacrifices of the characters as they follow the
        higher power of good. Sacrifice and redemption are strong themes, and Harry
        Potter can open our eyes to the spirituality in all of us."

        © Copyright of Telegraph Group Limited 2001. Terms & Conditions of reading.
        Commercial information. Privacy Policy.

        Ted
        Dr. Theodore J. Sherman, Editor
        Mythopoeic Literature