Re: canon (again)

  • Michael Martinez
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 14, 2001
      > I'm not sure if that applies to non-academic popularity, though.
      > LOTR topped repeated British polls as the most popular novel of
      > the 20th century. It would surely do well in American polls, too,
      > but I'd guess not nearly _that_ well. But that's a guess only:
      > there may well have been such polls, but I haven't seen them.
      >
      > I'd be very interested in Michael Martinez's take on this,
      > particularly the last point. Michael, what do you think?

      I have only recently begun to wonder about whether there is a
      disparity in academic treatment of Tolkien between the UK and the
      US. I don't have the resources handy to do even a quick comparison.
      I agree that your 27 examples don't paint the whole picture, but I
      know virtually nothing of how the UK educational system treats
      scholarship.

      As for American polls, the one I can think of which comes closest to
      matching your description would be an online poll conducted in the
      news groups a few years ago (I mean it was conducted across an
      extensive selection of news groups). IIRC, something like 100,000
      people voted in it (I could be confusing my polls, however) and
      Tolkien came out 1st.