Re: [mythsoc] Digest Number 688

  • jchristopher@tarleton.edu
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 12, 2001
      >Message: 1
      > Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 06:24:35 -0700
      > From: rbryant42@...
      >Subject: Tolkien, Shakespeare, et al
      >

      >With all this discussion of Professor Tolkien's perceived stature among
      >his literary fellows going on, it occurs to me that one might well ask
      >how much of academic interest is shaped by fashion.
      >
      >Are there any good sources about, for example, exactly how and why
      >Shakespeare's perceived stature among academics and literati evolved from
      >"uninspired popular hack" in the 18th century, to "The Greatest" over the
      >span of the 19th? I'm not an expert in the general critical literature,
      >but perhaps some of the Society folk here are, and could recommend some
      >biblographic references.
      >
      >I suspect strongly that such sources might contain some interesting clues
      >as to how the future may treat with JRRT's literary persona ...
      >

      >Under the Mercy,
      >
      > Ron
      There was an article in _PMLA_ a couple of years ago about the formation of
      the canon which discussed an eighteenth century essayist who established
      the first English canon--Chaucer, Spenser, Shakespeare, and Milton, if I
      remember correctly. Sorry I can't do any better than that at the moment.
      I tried to find it on an electronic source, but all I came up with was a
      book: Jonathan Brody Kramnick's _Making the English Canon: Print-Capitalism
      and the Cultural Past, 1700-1770_, Cambridge UP. I haven't read the book,
      but I thought the essay was fairly interesting at the time.
      --Joe